|HCC Site ID:||1971||Parish:||Hamble|
|Designations:||Original house LB II||Area:||7.62 acres (3.08ha) originally|
|Access:||Historic site||Ownership:||Private residential, multiple ownership|
Location and Site
Orignally the site of a Benedictine Priory, it is situated on a rise from the river, with views over Southampton Water across to Cowes. Now lies between the High Street and Copse Lane.
The Benedictine Priory of St. Andrew, of which few traces remain, was founded in 1109 by William Giffard, Bishop of Winchester, and the church was consecrated in the same year (VCH)). A Rectory (later known as Hamble Vicarage) was built in 1821 with money from Queen Anne’s Bounty (a fund established in 1704 to augment the incomes of the poorer clergy (Robinson 1987,53). It is a Grade II listed building in Regency style (english-heritage.org.uk). The original site probably occupied about 7.062 acres(3.08 ha.)
The OS 1st ed 25” c 1870 shows a substantial building sited to the west of the church, with a walled garden to the north, glasshouses and deciduous trees. There is a straight drive from the north and the rectory is approached by a straight tree-lined drive and a curved drive from the northwest, with a lodge at the entrance. A large field to the south is named as Dulcars on an 1839 map appearing in Nicolas Robinson’s book on Hamble (Robinson, 1987, 22).
The house was let in 1892/93 (Times on-line 1892/Morning Post 1893) and described as ‘Sheltered from easterly winds; beautiful views of Southampton Water and Cowes”,
A plan of the vicarage boundaries dated 1950 shows the field known as Dulcars included within the boundary (HRO 16M84/PB5).
The vicarage and grounds were sold off by Winchester College in 1970 (Personal communication, Parish Priest March 13 2012).
Very little of the original vicarage grounds remain in church hands – namely the modern vicarage facing the High Street and the area around the church. The vicarage is now divided into two private houses, ‘Dulcars’ and ‘The Coach House’.
The remaining area has been divided into at least eight individual properties. The surgery occupies part of Dulcars field. The lone mature lime tree at the front of The Coach House may have been part of the original avenue of trees seen on the OS 1st ed. 25” map. The Lodge remains a private house, and the original drive today leads to the various individual properties occupying the former vicarage site. There is virtually no sign of any original garden features or plantings (OS Mastermap 2012 (HRO) and www.bing.com)
Originally the site of a Benedictine Priory, later a vicarage with walled garden, lodge, deciduous trees and a field; now developed with two main houses and eight further in the field.
Partial HGT research: 2012
OS 1st ed. 25” 1869
OS Mastermap 2012
Times on-line 1892/Morning Post 1893
VCH Page W, Victoria County History, 221-223
Hampshire Record Office
16M84/PB5 Plan of vicarage
With the Parish Priest, 2012