|HCC Site ID:||1975||Parish:||Hamble-le-Rice and Hound|
|Designations:||House & Coach House LB II||Area:||Less than 1 ha|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private residential, multiple ownership|
(image from Google)
Location and Site
Hamble Cliff is situated along Southampton Water, to the east of the Royal Victoria Country Park, with access to the water.
Hamble Cliff House was built early 1800s by Sir Arthur Pagent, a diplomat who retired after a scandal. He chose the site badly, according to his family, for sailing and his interest in agriculture, which may explain the very large walled gardens. He was still living there in 1825 when one of many of his children was born. It later became the house of a branch of the Yorke family of Sydney Lodge. Hamble Cliff’s last resident was Eliot Yorke’s wife Annie (nee Rothschild) who died there in 1926.
Both Sydney Lodge and Hamble Cliff were purchased by British Marine, later known as Folland Aircraft Limited in 1934/6, for the land and access to Southampton Water.
Hamble Cliff (Cliff House) was by this time derelict and Sydney Lodge had been let for some years. The land became the site of a factory with slipway (British History online, p 469). The houses are both Grade II listed together with the stables/coach house of Hamble Cliff House and a WWII Observatory in the grounds of Sydney Lodge.
In 1992 Hamble Cliff house was transformed into apartments, advertised with tennis courts BBQ area and tranquil grounds.
Today the house is surrounded by grass, a drive and a tennis court, with lovely views over the Solent. The coach house/ stables behind the house were converted in the 1970’s to very attractive private home. The large old walled gardens are now part of the factory site (constructed mainly on the Sydney Lodge site) and known to the staff as ‘the secret gardens’. The walls, glass houses, out-buildings and grounds once maintained by apprentices are according to personal contact still in good order.
Early 19th century house with coach house and large walled kitchen garden on Southampton Water; now apartments. Bought with Sydney Lodge by British Marine, 1930s. Walled garden now within industrial complex adjoining.