|HCC Site ID:||1319||Parish:||Bramshott & Liphook|
|Designations:||House LB II||Area:|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private residence|
Location and site
Hailie is situated in the village of Liphook on the border of Hampshire and West Sussex. Haslemere, in West Sussex is approximately four miles to the east. The A3 Petersfield to Guildford and London is north of the village.
In 1912, Inigo Triggs was invited to design a new house on land situated ,near his own home Little Boarhunt. The site is well-documented, supported by the original garden plans and photographs and is listed Grade II. There was a formal garden, a rill and sunken rose garden with oblong pool, a well, round pond, yew, topiary, bowling green or croquet lawn, herbaceous borders and a gazebo, all of which form the setting for the house and are good examples of a ‘Triggs’ design. There was an adjacent orchard of earlier origin and Triggs also designed a lych gate.
The house was called Haile and in 1912-13 there were two full-time gardeners. In 1917, it became the Bramshott Rectory and the gardens gradually fell into decline. At some time after 1937, (4th ed OS map), the front changed from having a continuous boundary line with its neighbour, Osborne House, to having an indented boundary line. The decline of the gardens continued and by 1982-86 they had become seriously neglected. In 1987, the Triggs lych gate was blown down by the gales, eventually being replaced with a new one a few years later. The house was returned to private ownership in 2000 and renamed Fairfax House. The new owners carried out extensive work in the garden, including planting a line of pleached limes bordering the drive. The orchard was sold off for development and in 2003 the Triggs’ site was sold again. The new owners took back the house name Hailie, and have continued to restore this good example of a Triggs’ design.
There has been a partial restoration of the Triggs features since 2000.
Formal gardens desgiged by Inigo Triggs, 1912. Later, owned by the Church Commissioners fell into decline. Returned to private ownership, 2000 and Triggs features gradually restored.
HGT Research: 2007
Hampshire Record Office
Tithe Map and Apportionment 21M65/F7/33/1 & 2 1846
Scenes of Rural Life in Hampshire among the Manors of Bramshott pub WW Capes/Macmillan 1901
Plans for the Design of new house and garden 57M75/PB29 1912
Hampshire County Council
3rd ed OS map 25” 1910
4th ed OS map 25” 1932
Letter to HGT via HCC 1986
HGT Garden Survey 1986
AHBR description 1986
Aerial photograph during Reverend Eubanks’ living 1989
Sales Particulars, Fairfax House 38M82/119 2003
Mastermap Fairfax House (Bramshott Rectory) 2004
Note concerning Countryside Heritage Site designation 1987
Confirmation of Countryside Heritage Site designation 1987
Report of garden work by HGT 1989
Liphook Preservation Society
Photos taken during Canon Berriswood’s living 1930s
Adrian Bird 1970,1982 and 2006
St Mary’s Church, Bramshott 1917