|HCC Site ID:||1184||Parish:||Bursledon|
|Designations:||Lodge LB II||Area:||14.5 ha|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:|| Property split into private housing
and new build
Location and Site
Greyladyes in the village of Bursledon, is located on high ground to the west of the River Hamble giving it wonderful views over the river towards the Isle of Wight. The soil is light sandy and the subsoil is gravel. Although a large estate the house it self is very close to the southern boundary probably to take advantage of these views. The estate is circled on all sides by village roads. Some of the original parkland and the Mausoleum remain.
In the mid seventeen hundreds Philomen Ewer a local ship builder built a Georgian house known as Bursledon Lodge on land purchased by his father. (HRO 1730B/17) On his death his daughter inherited and she sold the estate to Captain Joseph Sydney Yorke. (Anthony Fletcher) Eventually the property was bought by the Trench family in 1810. During this period it was a well loved family home and one son Richard wrote of a mansion with a carriage way a well wooded park and wonderful views. (Anthony Fletcher)
By the 1841 census Harriet Douglas and twenty five people, including 13 servants are living here. Harriet Douglas sold the estate to Mr. W.C. Humphry in 1846. He also purchased other village properties and modernized the house. (GAF) Mr. and Mrs. Shawe-Storey rented the house in 1872 and changed the name to Greyladyes. Photographs during this period show the house with a stone porch and a circular drive in front and several balconies on upstairs windows. The kitchen gardens and glass houses were protected by tall trees and there were many large trees within the park. The couple also added to the estate by buying more houses in the village and today some of these can be identified by the fancy brick chimneys they added. There are several references to the topiary in the gardens and a gardener is employed to work on these. (G.M. Bouchard) When Mr. Shawe-Storey died his wife had a mausoleum erected in the northern corner of the estate so he a protestant, and later she a catholic, having converted some years earlier, could be buried together. Mrs. Shawe-Storey, who until then was renting, buys the estate and converts the ball room into a small, catholic chapel now GR II listed. (G.M. Bouchard)
The house was used during 1914-18 war as a convalescent home by French and Belgium nuns, orphans and refugees. (GAF & G.M. Bouchard) In 1937 Mrs. Shawe-Storey died and she left the Estate to the Catholic Church who were unable pay the death duties and estate reverted back to the family. During WW2 the property was requisitioned by the government for Canadian soldiers and then sold to a property developer who divided house into four homes. The chapel was sold to the Catholic church.
2012, the Georgian house is converted into four separate residences , each sharing a part of the original gardens. This division cuts across several original features in the gardens, such as paths and the remains of some stone balustrades. The Lodge, graded II listed, still stands much extended and the outbuildings are now all converted into houses. Several houses have been built in a rather haphazard way mainly along the southern boundary. The outline of the old walled garden can still be identified in one of these properties. Part of the Greyladyes Park with several mature trees remains, according to the wishes of Mrs. Shawe-Storey’s relatives. The family mausoleum, in a fenced off area to the north of estate is still standing. The Gr II listed chapel has been restored and is now run by the Greyladyes Art Foundation, a community-based Arts organisation supported by the Friends of GAF.
A once elegant Georgian house much altered during the Victorian era, within a lovely park, overlooking the River Hamble; Greyladyes is today four private homes. Part of the parkland to the north with several mature trees still stand but to the east and south new housing has obliterated what were once the pleasure and kitchen gardens of this house. The restored GR II chapel is now run as the Greyladyes Art Foundation.
HGT Research : August 2009
Biography of Mrs. Emmaline Shawe-Storey by G.M.Bouchard (Eastleigh Reference Library)
Victoria County History Vol.3
HRO 1730B/17 Ewer family Papers
Richard Chenevix Trench and his Legacy, pages from booklet An Appreciation by Anthony Fletcher*
GAF Greyladyes arts foundation booklet
1881-91 Census on line.
Photo of The Lodge by Colin Cromwell 1983*
The Yorke Family Tree