|HCC Site ID:||1435||Parish:||Grateley|
|Designations:||House LB II||Area:||3.9456 ha|
|Access:||Access to school||Ownership:|| Grateley House School/
Cambrian Educational Services
Photo from http://www.grateleyhouseschool.org/August 2006
Location and Site
Situated in an 8-acre parkland site on Pond Lane, at the southern end of Grateley village.
Grateley House as it exists today appears to be the work of William Boutcher, originally a Devon man with a leather factor business in London and resident there at the time of acquiring Grateley House some time in the 1850s from a local landowner and farmer, William Gale. It developed as a small country residence with extensive stabling and courtyard. A kitchen garden to the west was also laid out. The lawns before the new verandah seem to be unchanged from 1830, but a Wellingtonia, shrubbery and yews have been added. The property remained in the Boutcher family until 1974, the house being used by the Home Guard during the Second World War and the parkland being used by the two village cricket teams as well as providing the venue for village celebrations of various kinds. After 1974 it was owned by Alexander Ebelthite and used briefly as a photographic centre but little maintenance was done. Purchased in 1981/1982 by a group of trustees including a descendant of the Boutcher family, the house was remodelled as a school and three houses were built on land of the former kitchen garden.
The Hesley group bought the property in 1989/1990 and the house is now used as a school for autistic children. Ownership of Grateley House School was transferred to Cambian Educational Services in 2005. The basic garden survives although some has been lost to car parking and building is now encroaching on shrubs. The parkland, with distinctive clumps of ash, beech and horse chestnut and a shelter belt of trees screening the railway that was opened in 1857, is largely unchanged and is well-used as therapeutically within the school curriculum. Large tubs currently placed in front of the verandah appear to be those visible in a photo of 1901.
Mid-Victorian landscaped park with small garden; mid 19th century remodelling of 1830 – 1840 house; parkland survives as does the Wellingtonia, some shrubs and small area of lawn. Much school building now under way encroaching on garden and edge of parkland.
HGT Research: October 2005