|HCC Site ID:||1643||Parish:||Bishopstoke|
|Access:||Public Access||Ownership:||Eastleigh Borough Council|
Photo: Looking through the hedged garden area on the southwest side of the park
Location and Site
This park is located in Bishopstoke village, approx. 1 mile east of the town of Eastleigh. It is in the centre of the EBC designated Bishopstoke conservation area. The surrounding land is mainly residential.
The site was formerly the grounds of the Old Rectory where Rev Thomas Garnier made his home first as Rector of Bishopstoke then Dean of Winchester. He was a keen botanist and plantsman and so the area was noted for having many interesting trees and shrubs collected on expeditions in the mid 19th century and grown by Garnier. The site was given to the parish to provide a recreation ground for the people of Bishopstoke. Many of the original plants of note are no longer there. It remains an important green space for local families.
Current DescriptionThis park consists of informal open meadow with a substantial play facility for skate boarding. The north boundary has several mature trees and there are a few ornamental trees in the open areas. An enclosed play area is provided for younger children and there is a small, hedged garden on the southerly side with a seat.
Summary & Significance
The park has developed from its original semi-rural tree and parkland aesthetic to a recreation ground with an important emphasis on play, sport and youth activities. This emphasis on contemporary life suits perfectly the original reason for the land being given to the parish. The park, which is in a conservation area, must remain on the register and perhaps the local heritage merit could be acknowledged and promoted in any future plans for improvement.
Land Use Consultants, 1997 Survey for Hampshire County Council.