|HCC Site ID:||1183||Parish:||Bursledon|
|Designations:||Area:||Less than 1 ha|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private Residential|
Location and Site
Freehills with Hoe Moor House lie north of the M27, directly south of Hedge End. They have an open aspect still surrounded by fields.
The estate came into being in 1805 when the grey brick, gothic style house was built. Very little is known about the estate or its owners in its early years. The first printed map to show it was not published until 1855; even then it was not named. The house was built on a hill top with lovely views up the valley of the Hamble River and approached from a winding carriage drive. As well as the garden, shrubbery and lawns there was farming land, a farm and stables. The Kitchen Garden was some way from the house on flatter land.
By the later years of the nineteenth century when Matthew Blakiston was the owner, the estate was at its peak. It had ornamental woods and plantation, pleasure grounds, beautiful lawns and choice rhododendrons and flowering shrubs around the house. Into the next century the Kitchen Garden was noteworthy; it was believed to be one of the earliest in the district.
In the twentieth century the estate suffered changing fortunes. Between the two World Wars it was sold with reduced acreage, as a part of a bigger land sale. Having then recovered its independence with Colonel Fernie as owner, it was requisitioned by the Royal Navy in World War 11 to provide Officers’ and Wrens’ quarters for the base at Cricket Camp.
The estate does not now exist. After the war it was divided into 21 lots which were sold separately. The main house was split into two, the West Wing being named Hoe Moor House and the East Wing became Freehills House. They kept their surrounding lawns and gardens but no other lands or buildings. The approach drive still remains, bordered by rhododendrons and laurels, but some modern houses have been built on one side of it.
The two houses stand in their own gardens, which were once part of the estate. They are surrounded by fields.
Small nineteenth century hilltop estate with Gothic style house, noted for its abundant shrubberies and productive Kitchen Garden. Twentieth century, requisitioned in World War 11 and sold off in lots afterwards. House divided into two dwellings, Hoe Moor House and Freehills which still remain but without their estate lands.
HGT Research: January 2008
Greenwood, 1826 HRO
Tithe map, 1840 HRO
OS 1″, 1810, Old Hampshire Mapped
1st ed OS 25″, 1868 HCC
2nd ed IS 25″, 1897 HCC
3rd ed OS 25″ 1909 HCC
OS Mastermap 2004 HCC
Hampshire Record Office
Deed 1853, 4M92/D3/1/8
Sale particulars 1891 4M92/03/1/24
Sale particulars 1909 117M91 SPO37
Sales particulars 1947 157M89/W/65
Kelly’s Directory 1915 and 1947
Alterations to Stables Cottage, 1924 34M74/BP1788
Sale particulars for Hoe Moor House 2005, Savills
Sale particulars for Freehills Cottage 2006, Pear