|HCC Site ID:||1135||Parish:||Eversley|
|Designations:||House LB II*||Area:|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private / Multiple occupancy|
The house and grounds are thought to be the site of one of the four original manors of Eversley, as given to Westminster Abbey by Edward the Confessor. It was a grange and supplied fish to Farnham, Hartley Wintney and possibly other monastic establishments. Fir Grove Farm must have been part of the estate. So far there is no record of buildings here, which must have existed until 1736 when Wadham Wyndham built there, possibly employing John James of Warbrook. There were many later additions in Victorian times. The road originally passed close to the house but some common land was enclosed in 1808 by Samuel Broff and the road moved further away to its present position. He had to pay a yearly fine. He was a tenant of the Copes of Bramshill who had acquired Fir Grove when Ann Wyndham married Sir Richard Cope (memorials in Eversley Church). Fir Grove was often used as a dower house for Bramshill and Sir Denzil and Lady Cope moved there in 1935 when they sold Bramshill to Lord Brocket. Sir Denzil died in 1940 and Lady Cope remarried in 1949 when Fir Grove was put up for sale. It was bought before auction by Lord Brocket and then sold again with the rest of the Bramshill estate in 1952. It was a Country Club for 3 years before coming under the ownership of the Outhwaite family. The house is divided into flats.
Early 18th Dower House to Bramshill attributed to John James, with fir trees, lake, and well-planted gardens.
Information: October 2000