|HCC Site ID:||1490||Parish:||Upper Clatford|
|Designations:||Lodge & Gatepiers LB II||Area:||10 ha|
|Access:||Access to school||Ownership:|| IAPS Roman Catholic Boarding and
Day Prep School
Location and Site
Situated west of Goodworth Clatford and to the east of the A343 to Salisbury.
The house and park at Red Rice had their origin in early Georgian times. According to legend General John Webb, one of the Duke of Marlborough’s officers, was the founder but this cannot be proved. Certainly the Prince Regent visited the house when it was owned by Sir Henry Errington, the uncle of Mrs Fitzherbert. In the 19th century changes were made that enhanced the dignity of the estate. The Best family bought the estate in 1844 and plans were drawn up by the architect William Burn to remodel the house to become a mansion. By diverting the road that ran in front of the park it was possible to build a more imposing drive which led to the house. The park had always been well-wooded; in its midst a fine arboretum was created. Pleasure grounds, a pinetum and a large, productive kitchen garden were also evident. In the 20th century newly fashionable gardens such as Japanese, rose and topiary were created in the pleasure grounds.
All was to change in 1961 when the owner, Sir Richard Boughey, sold off large parts of the estate including the house and park. Red Rice became firstly Red Rice School and after 1982 Farleigh House School, both preparatory boarding schools for boys.
Although the lodges at the entrance to the park, the drive and the front of the mansion remain the same, other parts have been adapted to school use and new buildings have been placed behind the house. The park has shrunk in size; the arboretum has inevitably suffered from neglect; and the kitchen garden was sold for the construction of a house within its curtileg. The Japanese garden was recognisable on a visit in 2005. The open parkland is well used for a variety of sports.
Early Georgian house, remodeled mid-19th century by William Burn, set in well-wooded park which later was extended by diversion of a road, allowing new drive. Fine arboretum developed. Early 20th century Japanese garden. Large kitchen garden now in separate ownership. Late 20th century became a school, extra buildings and change of function for the park.
HGT Research: September 2005