Fairfield House

You are here Home  > Private Parks & Gardens >  Fairfield House
Item image
HCC Site ID: 1528 Parish: Hambledon
Designations: AONB, SDNP, SMR House LB II Area: Medium
Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

Location and site

Fairfield House is located on the north east outskirts of Hambledon Village. On its eastern side it abuts a lane and open farmland. It is within an undulating rolling landscape that falls from the South Downs ridgeline to the Hambledon Valley. The geology is ‘Upper chalk’ with deposits of clay with flints. It is within the South Downs National Park (Winchester LCA, 2004, 137 online).

Historic development

The name of the house is probably derived from an annual fair that was held in the field east of Hambledon from 1612 (Goldsmith 1994). It is a white Regency house with Victorian additions and five Cedars of Lebanon in the lawns by the circular drive (Hampshire Treasures 123 online). The main façade of the house faces southwest. On the 1st edition O.S map, there is, to the north of the house, a walled garden with a series of paths, and possibly fruit trees. The boundary to the southwest of the house has a wide border of trees and shrubs; there appears to be a path on the inside perimeter of this border.  An icehouse was constructed to the north of the kitchen garden by the end of the 19th century. During World War I the house was used as a convalescent home (Norman 1950, 11)

Current description

A strip of land to the north of the walled garden, and a portion to the southwest no longer appear to be part of the garden. The southern wall of the walled garden has been removed. The remaining walls now provide the support for the many outstanding climbing roses grown, with large herbaceous borders growing interesting perennials at the foot of the walls. Another enclosed garden to the east of the house has more fine roses; the old vine house is at the farthest end. A 1989 plan of the house and garden indicates the lane to the right of the walled garden and vine house as Vineyard Lane. This was almost certainly the area of the garden where the vines were grown. The plan names the various climbing roses grown and their location in the garden. Mature conifers and deciduous trees line the entrance drive and parts of the perimeters.  There is a wildflower meadow, specimen trees and some interesting topiary. Immediately to the north of the house are a swimming pool, which has replaced the tennis court, and a small ornamental pool (Visit 2002)

Summary

Fairfield House is a listed Grade II Regency house with an informal garden on chalk with extensive walls and the remains of a large walled kitchen garden. There are fine mature trees, shrubbery, outstanding climbing roses, variety of small trees and wildflower meadow.

Information: November 2003

References

Maps
1st ed. 1870s OS map (HCC)
Books
Goldsmith, John, 1994, Hambledon: The Biography of a Hampshire Village, Phillimore & Co. Ltd
Norman, Terry, Hambledon Denmead Photographic History of Village Life to 1950, Phillimore & Co. Ltd Electronic sources [all accessed 24 March 2013]
Hampshire Treasures online http://www.hants.gov.uk/hampshiretreasures/vol01/page123.html
(Winchester LCA, 2004) Winchester Landscape Character Assessment 2004
http://www.winchester.gov.uk/planning/landscape—countryside/landscape-character-assessment/
Visit: Researcher: April 2002


Our address

Address:
Hambledon No Public Access Click for Disclaimer & copyright
GPS:
50.93362393295189, -1.0765557282138616

Comments are closed.