|HCC Site ID:||1171||Parish:||Crondall|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Early maps of Hampshire note the name of Ewshot. Butterfield (1948) notes that ‘references to Ewshot go back to the year 1279, when we find the De Burgh family holding land from the Giffards. In 1579-80 Ewshot was sold with Itchell to Henry Wriotheseley, second Earl of Southampton, after which date the estate is usually spoken of as the ‘Manor of Itchell and Ewshot’. Three locations for Ewshot have been identified on the historic maps of Hampshire, one refers to Ewshot House, which was the name given to Itchel during the early 19th century. By the end of the 19th century it reverted to Itchel. Ewshot Hall’s location is east of Crondall, just north of Dora’s Green and north east of Clare Park. On the 1870 OS map, and Baignet’s 1891 map, it is referred to as Warren Corner House. There is a conservatory attached to the house; an orchard; and mixed tree planting around the house. The main house was built on a raised embankmnet, and extensive parkland was noted to the south. The OS map of 1938 indicates the dwelling as Ewshot House; whereas the 1940 map refers to it as Ewshot Hall. Amongst the outbuildings are some greenhouses; there is a path in the direction of Ewshot Cottage; a pond, and an orchard south east of the main house. The pond is still noted on more recent maps, and some of the outbuildings have been incorporated into Ewshot Farm. Tree planting bordering the south western parkland and a wooded area north of the main hall are still evident.
The Hall and Farm create a significant green belt on the outskirts of Farnham.
Information: October 2000