|HCC Site ID:||1217||Parish:||East Woodhay|
|Designations:||AONB, Grade II||Area:||c150 acres|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
The park lies at the northern extremity of the manor of EAST WOODHAY and was the property of the See of Winchester, and confirmed by Edward I in 1284. John Edwardes is the first known holder of the manor, and he sold it in 1565 to Vincent Goddard, and it remained with the Goddard family until 1814 when it became as part of the wider estates of the Earl of Carnarvon until 1921.
A house and gardens in the approximate location of East Woodhay House appears on the Milne map of 1791, and a Miss Johnson was recorded as the resident of East Woodhay House in 1849, but it was not recorded on the maps by name until 1880s. It seems likely that the mansion with its gardens and courtyards was built in the early 19th century. It is located at the northern end of the parish, in the Bourne hamlet overlooking the flood plain of the River Enbourne.
The house is approached by a tree lined drive from the local road to Ball Hill, and set in extensive grounds with mature native trees, and long established mixed thorn hedges. The garden plan in the 1880s shows the house overlooking an ornamental garden with pond, terraced with paths leading up across lawns to the south facing kitchen gardens and a orchard. A courtyard with stables and outbuildings is located to the north of the house. It is accessed from the main drive, and has direct access onto the paddocks to the east of the house.
The park and agricultural land encloses the house from the north east to the south and west, and is bounded by local roads. The footprint of the modern estate has changed little, except that the courtyard has been extended with more outbuildings. The kitchen garden may now be in the orchard with a pool terrace at its southern end. A private garden enclosed by hedges is close to the east wing of the house, and a new pond consructed in the south lawn. New walks from the house have been established into the parkland – from stables in the courtyard. Hedge boundaries to the fields are species rich with mature trees and little changed since 1880, except that Woodhay House Copse has been encroached by accommodation works for the Newbury by-pass at Station Road and Wash Water, and the drive from the south has disappeared.
The park retains some elements of a 19th century landscape – open parkland, mature trees and hedge boundaries with the main phase of development laid out after 1820.
Landscape Planning Status :
TPO etc No
Research: EM Consultants for Basingstoke & Deane: October 2009