|HCC Site ID:||1052||Parish:||Fawley|
|Designations:|| Folly LB II*; House, walled garden, temple, flight
of steps from folly to the beach all LB II
|Access:||No Public Access to Eaglehurst; Luttrell’s Tower can be rented from the Landmark Trust||Ownership:|| Folly – Landmark Trust
Eaglehurst multiple private
Image: google online
Location and site
The site is on a flat site (wave-cut platform) on the shores of the Solent looking towards Cowes on the Isle of Wight. The estate is now small and bounded by the walled garden in the north and the Solent in the south, and just the land immediately around the house and folly.
Simon Temple Luttrell acquired the land and had the folly built about 1780. After his death in 1803, the Earl of Cavan’s family owned the property for the next 40 years. House constructed to the 7th Earl’s design, in the shape of a tent with only a ground floor, (Queen Victoria remarked on a visit in 1833). He also bought back from his campaigns ornamental trees and the huge granite sandstone monoliths. The Estate during this period was at its largest and covered 224 hectares. The walled garden was surrounded on 3 sides by mainly evergreen planting, which continued on each side of the main avenue from the house to the Exbury Road, and extended from the West of the house along the shoreline to Bourne Gap. The 8th Earl of Cavan decided to sell Eaglehurst, and it was for this reason that Queen Victoria and Prince Albert visited Eaglehurst again in 1844 with the possibility of purchasing, but changed their minds and chose Osborne House instead. Andrew Berkeley Drummond purchased most of the estate, and leased it to General Berkeley Drummond, his cousin. It was probably the General and his wife who laid out the formal gardens between the house and folly. His wife remained at Eaglehurst after his death in 1860. The estate was leased to various people after the Drummonds. including Marconi, who carried out some of his experiments in the Tower. The formal gardens were probably dug up during his tenancy. It was leased to the RAF and Navy in the 1930s, and was eventually sold to Lt Colonel W B V H P Gates (Cow & Gate) in 1947. The Landmark Trust purchased the Tower in 1968, and the house is now subdivided into private residences.
The folly was restored in 1978, and is well maintained. The steps and gate to the shore do not appear to be used. A beach chalet and boathouse are on the shore and were in need of repair (1996). The house is set back from the cliff and is screened by trees
Small late 18th or early 19th century country house, early 20th century alterations, with separate folly designed by Thomas Sandby about 1780; walled garden to north of the house was probably constructed at the same time as the house, contains 1930’s temple, probably designed by Clough Williams-Ellis, who designed impressive steps from the shore to the folly.
Listed Building’s note
Buxton – ‘Eaglehurst & Luttrell’s Folly’
Enclosure map (HRO ref Q23/2/51/1)
Landmark Trust Holiday Accommodation notes