|HCC Site ID:||1215||Parish:||Oakley and Deane|
|Designations:||LB Grade II||Area:||70 acres|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
The estate is located west of Basingstoke on the Andover Road between Oakley and Overton. It lies 2.5 miles west from the parks at Manydown & Malshanger, and less than 1 mile from Ashe Park and Oakley Hall. It is a small south facing park of approximately 70 acres.
At the time of the Domesday Survey Deane (Deane Mauduit, xiv cent.) which a certain Thomas had held of Edward the Confessor was held by William de Eu. In 1392 The estate was passed to Sir William Fiennes, second Lord Saye and Sele. From then, the estate was held by the Fiennes family until 1590. During this time medieval village was relocated – possibly connected to the building of the new manor house. In 1590 the estate sold with Ashe Park to Sir James Deane, and on his death in 1628 the estate passed to William Harcourt.
Between 1764 – 1768 the Rev. George Austen Rector of All Saints Church, lived in Deane Rectory and thence commenced the relationship with the Harcourt family and families at Ashe, Steventon and Manydown, and it is recorded that Jane Austen met Tom Lefroy at Deane. In the 1839 Tithe Plan Deane House is shown as belonging to the Reverend John Harwood. In 1864 Deane was purchased by the Right Hon. William Wither Bramston Beach, who at his death in 1901 was Father of the House of Commons. Major William Archibald Hicks Beach inherited from his father, and his grandson Colonel H. J. Nicholson inherited it in 1965. In 2004, the property was sold by Mr & Mrs Baring to Mr Richard and Mrs Kara Gnodde.
A plan of the Inclosures dated 1773 is the first topographical record of Deane House, and cottages shown as belonging to John Harwood esq. Deane House is drawn within a square enclosure containing two rectangular buildings and a large, square building abutting the drive in the north east corner of the enclosure. A large enclosure contains Deane House and All Saint’s Church, both closely linked with the estate cottages to the east.
The house faces south across the park. A sunny lawn terrace is enclosed on the west and north sides by the house and by a high yew hedge on its southern boundary. A fine large glasshouse opens onto this lawn. The walled garden lies to the north west of the house. It has vegetable beds and an enclosed circular garden leading to an ornamental pool.
The modern estate is well endowed with mature Ash Beech and Oak mainly on the boundaries. However, there is a signifigant discontinuity in the age/maturity profile of parkland trees. Some specialist advice has been sought from Landscape Architect Tom Stuart-Smith during 2005, and the owners are now embarked upon a significant programme of tree planting and landscape regeneration.
Deane House is a Grade 11 listed house built in 1786, which is situated in a well-wooded park. of 70 acres. It is one of a number of important estates located to the west of Basingstoke that were socially connected during the late 18th and early 19th century, and which was the subject of the most penetrating scrutiny of Jane Austen, providing her with the material to create her lasting legacy to English literature.
A medieval village is identified in the archives and uneven terrain on the ground within the park suggests that some geophysical investigation could be productive. No evidence of emparkment has been identified within the estate during this study,
Deane Park is significant in that the main phase of development of house and park occurred during the 18th C, and is largely unchanged in its landscape structure since that time. The ‘new’ church according to Pevsner, ‘is the most complete and successful early C19 Gothic church in the county’. The relationship between the house, church and estate hamlet is very significant – earning the designation of Area of High Archaeological Potential.
An important social feature of the house is it’s direct connection with Jane Austen.
Landscape Planning Status :
AHAP and AAP the whole estate and including the manor houses and Deane cottages are of archaeological significance.
TPO Yes – A blanket TPO on the whole estate.
Research: EM Consultants for Basingstoke & Deane: October 2009