|HCC Site ID:||1602||Parish:||Winchester|
|Access:||Public Access during daylight hours||Ownership:||Winchester Cathedral, garden managed by the Friends Association|
Location and Site
The Dean Garnier Garden lies within Winchester Cathedral Close, on the site of the monk’s dorter, adjacent to the Chapter House lawn and the Cathedral. The 65 x 15m plot is raised, thereby allowing a view of the Cathedral not previously seen, to the public.
In 1992, a portion of the Deanery garden within Winchester Cathedral Close (the Dean’s Rose garden) was donated by the Dean to create a public garden to be run by a Friends Group under the auspices of Hampshire Gardens Trust. Little was publicly known about Dean Garnier, Dean of Winchester Cathedral from 1840 –1872 apart from the fact that he had been a keen horticulturalist and gardener. He had, in fact, created a world-renowned arboretum at the Rectory in Bishopstoke where he lived when Rector of Bishopstoke from 1808–1868, importing many specimen trees from around the world.
Hampshire County Council agreed that Sally Hocking, their Historic Landscape Officer, would be responsible for providing a suitable design for the space. Jennifer Harmer undertook research into the gardening skills of Dean Garnier but it took until mid-1994 before sufficient funds were raised and the design plan agreed. The work commenced in late 1994 and the garden was officially opened in 15 October, 1995.
Entrance to the garden is through a heavy wooden door from the Close, up stone steps onto the raised ground. It is divided into three ‘rooms’: the Dorter Garden consisting of grass and an old quince tree and surrounded by paths and shrub borders. The Dorter garden covers the length of the original monks’ dorter and includes the Monks’ herb garden. The remainder of the dormitory flint wall was excavated and can be seen along the northern edge of this part of the garden. A metal arbour with three arches to accommodate climbers, echoes the arcade of the early Norman arches below the garden. This leads on to the Presbytery Lawn designed to be a ‘calm, green stage.. flanked by scented plants and backed by green buttresses of yews’. The third and last ‘room’ is the Lady Chapel Garden, named for the part of the cathedral to which it corresponds, designed to be full of colour and exuberance.
Planting in the garden has been carefully chosen, following research by Jennifer Harmer to be in keeping with medieval and Victorian times, and Dean Garnier’s system of layering for seasonal planting was adopted. Various sculptures and seats have been donated to the garden and a plaque representing Dean Garnier is to be installed on the wall closest to the Close (2013). The garden is open during daylight hours each day, except for the period from late November until early January when the Close is made over to the Christmas Market.
Created in Winchester Cathedral Close in 1995 as a calm, green space, built on the raised ground of the monks’ ‘dorter’; designed with three garden ‘rooms’ and plants from medieval and Victorian times. Named after the 19th C gardening cleric, Dean Garnier, and managed by a Friends Group.