|HCC Site ID:||1512||Parish:||Crawley|
|Designations:||SMR||Area:||Now little parkland left|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Arquiva|
Image – Hampshire Record Office 18M92/17
Location and site
Crawley Court is situated at the NW extremity of Crawley village. The village lies in a sheltered dry valley.
A Georgian house known as Crawley House was sited just behind the present church in Crawley. A small landscape park was created. In the 19th century the house fell into decay, having been occupied by the Meyer family from around the turn of the 18th century. In 1875-77 a banker, Adam Kennard, demolished the old house and on a different site completed a splendid new Victorian house to the design of the Frederick Pepys Cockerell, then President of the RIBA, in the Elizabethan style. Kennard’s wife died aged 40 soon after and the house, estate and village gradually deteriorated and was on the market for some time.
Otto Ernest Phillippi purchased the house and estate and moved in in 1901. He also bought the cottages in the village and proceeded to rebuild the village. The whole appearance of the main street was improved when his gardeners were made responsible for planting out the cottage gardens facing the street with vegetable gardens at the back. Water was a problem until 1929 when it was piped to Crawley by the Southampton Water Co. Ernest died in 1917 and his son George succeeded him.
Due to the Wall Street crash, the estate was put up for sale in 1932 and the sales particulars record a shoot, golf course, tennis courts, squash court and cricket ground. Due to the economic conditions, prices were depressed and by arrangement with the eventual purchasers, George continued to lease Crawley Court until his death in 1953. He also managed to place a restrictive covenant on future development of the village.
Eventually, the Planning Authority designated the area a Conservation Area and blanketed it with a tree preservation order.
The grounds were extensive and comprised lawns round the house, pleasure gardens with groups and belts of ornamental and forest trees, formal gardens including a square sunken rose garden, herbaceous borders and long grass walks. A walled garden of about two acres (0.8 ha) completely enclosed by a high brick wall and divided by grass walks.
The Bon Secours Nursing Order of Nuns acquired Crawley Court and ran it as nursing home until 1970 when it was bought by IBA who later changed their name to NTL. The house was demolished and was replaced by a large office complex.
Although little remains of the parkland, the site still retains the impression of a small country estate with perimeter trees and an entrance down a drive through gates The complex is now (2008) owned by Arquiva and there are several large satellites positioned in the grounds. A small part of the original gardens remain with the walled garden,lawns and fine, old trees.
Elizabethan farmhouse enlarged, then replaced by a late 19th century and early 20th century garden and pleasure grounds. Victorian Gothic style house demolished by the IBA and replaced by a large office complex, now owned by Arquiva. Satellite dishes stand in the grounds; only a few fine trees and walled garden remain.
Information: 2003 updated 2008
Notes at Hampshire County Council