|HCC Site ID:||1511||Parish:||Corhampton|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Multiple Private|
Location and site
Corhampton House lies between the B3035 and the A32. in the Upper Meon Valley. The valley is wide, cutting through chalk uplands. Once adjacent to water meadows, functioning until the mid-20th century.
Originally believed to be a hunting box, Corhampton House was extended in the mid-18th century and became the seat of the Wyndham family. Described as of architectural and historic interest with mellow brick elevations of old ochre-colour, lime-wash traces can still be seen. From 1750, the house belonged to the Wyndham family. During the 18th and 19th centuries, the house stood in substantial parkland with a walled garden to the south, a pond on the eastern boundary and several glasshouses, including at one time a tropical greenhouse. In the 1890s an icehouse was built. There were working water meadows across from the eastern boundary of the estate until the 1950s. In the early 20th century, Walter Vansittart Long, son of Walter Long of Preshaw House, married into the Wyndham family. After the death of Walter Long’s wife in 1950, the house was sold to Hampshire County Council for use as a care home. Much of the surrounding parkland was sold off at this time.
The house has been restored and divided into three dwellings since being a care home and an unsightly annex was demolished. Outbuildings, including cow sheds and the dairy, were sold to Corhampton Park Farm and remain much as they were. The icehouse, also belonging to Corhampton Park Farm, remains though requires restoration. The walled garden was retained with the house and has been planted as a knot garden, though one wall has been lost. Iron railings are visible in the adjoining parkland with the remains of an iron gate close to the walled garden. Though the ownership of the land has been split, the nature of pasture and parkland remains strong.
Originally a hunting box, Corhampton House was substantially extended in the mid-18th century. Much of the parkland was sold in the mid-20th century and became a care home. House now restored and divided into three dwellings with the walled garden as a knot garden. Outbuildings and a late 19th century ice house now part of a neighbouring farm.
Research: May 2002
Hurst J, Corhampton and Exton