|HCC Site ID:||1508||Parish:||Compton & Shawford|
|Designations:||HE II*; House LB II*; Gazebo LB II||Area:||0.5 ha|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Location and Site
The house (House LB II*) is located on a single track, a sunken road at the end of Compton Street, Compton near Winchester. The road lies to the north of the garden bounded by mature, native trees. The land falls towards the south and there are views out over the countryside beyond.
Gardens of 0.5ha, laid out between 1895 and about 1914, by G H Kitchin, in the Arts and Crafts style, to surround the 17th century farmhouse he had converted into his home.
An L-shaped drive links the lane to the west side of the house, and a short flagstone path between borders leads to the north front. Between the two stands the only surviving barn of the old farm (Farm LB II).
G H Kitchin bought the existing small farmhouse in 1894, and over the next decade or so, converted it into a home for himself, and developed the gardens. It remained in the family for a long time before being sold several times. The gardens lie to the south and east of the house and are laid out in a series of formal compartments, the whole being bounded by hedges principally of yew and box.
The first part of the scheme to be laid out was the straight, narrow, brick walk which stretches east from the paved area in front of the garden porch of the house. It runs between borders backed by yew hedges to a sundial by the eastern boundary.
To the south of this walk is the Pond Garden where beds set in turf surround a small, square pond. This was the last part of the garden to be laid out by Kitchin, the soil from the excavation of the pond being used to level the surrounding area which had previously had a strong fall to the south.
Immediately beyond the garden room, an early 20th century addition to the south side of the house, is a brick-paved and box-hedged parterre, intended for bedding out.
Steps lead south, down from the Pond Garden and from the parterre, to the Rockery Garden, a narrow dell, made by excavating the centre of the strip and throwing up the soil to either side, laid out with a winding path, small pools, and an ivy bower.
Beyond the dell, to the south, rose beds were set in a croquet lawn, and bounded on three sides by yew hedges. Steps either side of a summer house (II), built c.1920, led down to the vegetable garden and orchard, the latter extending up the west side of the site.
The house and garden are GRII* listed (1988) and there is a GR II listed barn and a GRI II listed summer house.
The house changed hands in 2002: the new owners were interested in maintaining the Arts and Crafts garden. The house is again for sale (February 2013). The shape and layout of the gardens appear to have been kept with clipped yew hedges and small rooms.
Between 1895 and 1914, G H Kitchen designed an Arts and Crafts garden round a 17th century farmhouse with box-edged parterres, pond garden, summerhouse and rockery garden. A considerable part of the original design remains.
‘Country Life’, 23 August 1919, 240-48
English Heritage old listing
Click here to visit Historic England site for this location