|HCC Site ID:||1617||Parish:||Fareham|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Multiple private|
Location and site
Coldeast Estate is situated on former heathland, south of the M27 with lodge access from the A27 east of Sarisbury Green. It is on high ground which slopes south east giving views towards the River Hamble. The former estate, ringed by Brook Lane and Barnes Road, is a residential area with housing, schools, playing fields and local amenities.
In 1765, on what was once part of the Titchfield Manor and Swanwick Manor, a farm called Cold East was known to be on the site (NPA 1998). By the 1840s, Arthur Hornby appears to have been living on the estate where he dealt in horses; and in 1851 the census states that he was living in the house with three staff (Hampshire Chronicle on-line). He was a member of the wealthy Hornby family who owned much land in the area, including The Hook near Warsash. During this period, Cold East house and grounds were enlarged and embellished. Two lodge houses and tree lined carriage drives, stables and outhouses were built (OS map 1868). In 1869, William Hornby of Hook House died, and Arthur Hornby inherited and decided to sell Cold East and move to Hook. In 1870, the sales notice of the approximately 150 acres (60.6h) estate was described as ‘The favorite abode of Mr. Arthur Hornby’. It was noted as a moderate sized house with pleasure grounds, kitchen gardens, vineries, parkland, heath land and with views towards the sea. There was great emphasis on its good stabling facilities (Hampshire Chronicle on-line).
The property was purchased by Nathaniel and Emma Montefiore (NPA 1998). In 1895, Emma Montefiore was having building work carried out on the estate which is reflected on the 1897 OS map where more glasshouses are shown both inside and outside the walled gardens and where the grounds were becoming more formal (HRO 26M59/507). The 1909 OS maps clearly show the more formally laid out gardens to the south of the house with terraces and paths looking over open parkland. In 1924, Mr.L.G.Montefiore decided to sell the house. It was described as a medium sized Georgian house in a well timbered park (HRO 64A10/3). It was bought by Hampshire County Council with an extra 170 acres (68.7h) to use as a hospital for Mentally Deficient patients. A boundary fence and a ditch parallel to the main road were built and villa accommodation provided for the patients within the grounds (HRO: 64A10/3; 26M59/507; 210M85/83). In 1938, part of the estate was taken over as an emergency hospital and allotments appear to the north and south (OS maps 1938-42). The gardens remained much as before but farming, which had been done with the help of able patients, ceased in 1964 when some land was sold in lots for housing (HRO 64A10/3). The hospital closure began in 1996 (NPA 1998).
At the time of a visit in January 2011 the site was being further developed for housing. The mansion house was boarded but in fairly good repair and the two lodge houses were still standing, one intact, but the other on Brook Lane, in a state of dereliction. The entrance from the main road is well lined with many trees and there are still several specimen trees in the grounds. It also appears that the lake and some of the formal gardens behind the mansion house may still exist. The area to the south of the house is open parkland, as yet undeveloped, and a few outbuildings remain.
A mid to late 18th century farm house that became a medium sized country estate with attractive parkland in the early to mid 19th century. At the end of the century and the beginning of the 20th, the pleasure grounds were substantially extended to the south with a new cohesive design. In 1925, it became an institutional hospital with villas erected for the patients within the grounds. The hospital closed at the beginning of the 21st century. In 2011, the site is being developed for housing. The entrance avenue, some formal gardens, and specimen trees remain.
HGT Research: January 2011
Hampshire Record Office (HRO)
26M59/507 Coldeast Mental Deficiency Colony, Sarisbury Green, Southampton: building specifications etc. 1925
64A10/3 Typewritten history of Coldeast Hospital, Sarisbury Green c1965
210M85/83 File of plans and papers relating to the erection of a fence on the northern boundary and construction of a gravel drive at Coldeast Mental Deficiency Colony, Sarisbury 1926
Ordnance Survey (OS) maps from the Hampshire County council
1st ed. 1868 25” 2nd ed. 1897 25”
3rd ed. 1909 25” 3rd ed. 1909 6”
4th ed. 1938/42 6”
NPA Nicholas Pearson Associates “Assessment of the Historic landscape of Coldeast Hospital” 1998
Hampshire chronicle on-line: 1846, 1848, 1870
Census on-line: 1851, 1861,