|HCC Site ID.||1211||Parish:||Candovers|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Historic site|
The village of Chilton Candover is situated on the main road from Winchester to Basingstoke. To the north lies a churchyard enclosed by a flint stone wall and now abandoned. Inside are the remains of the old church of St Nicholas, pulled down in 1876. The Chilton Candover bourne rises nearby and alongside there is an avenue of yew trees half a mile in length leading south-east to the road to Preston Candover. The avenue continues towards Juniper Hill. The village was depopulated during the late C16 (agricultural enclosures?). In 1662 the manor was in possession of Sir Henry Worsley Bt.. He died in 1666 and was succeeded by his son Sir Robert Worsley Bt, who died in 1676, in turn succeeded by his son, Robert the last Sir Robert Worsley who died in 1747 without male issue.
The avenue is complemented by a series of terraces and the earthworks of the site of the house. These, together with other old yew trees in the landscape are the remains of a formal early C18 designed landscape laid out around Chilton Candover House probably by the last Sir Robert Worsley, who appears as a subscriber to John James’ ‘The Theory and Practice of Gardening’, 1712.
HCC Register Review: March 1999 (see Parish file)
Hampshire Record Office
11M52/649 Manors of Brown Candover & Chilton Candover 1792
51M68/1 Manors as above 1820
1759 Taylor depicts the avenue
Enclosure Map, 1792
O.S. 1st ed.6″Sheet 34
Page, W., Victoria History of the Counties of England Series: A History of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (Constable, 1911), volume 4: ps. 29; 182-186; 189