|HCC Site ID:||1505||Parish:||Cheriton|
|Designations:||SDNP, House LB II||Area:||8.1 ha|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Photo: Cheriton Now & Then by Patricia Culpin 1999: The Crockford Collection
Location and site
Cheriton House is situated in the village of Cheriton, three miles south of Alresford and seven miles east of Winchester. It is on a slight rise to the north and east of two channels near the source of the River Itchen Farmland surrounds the village and it is within the South Downs National Park.
A farmhouse stood on the site in Elizabethan times. Cheriton House was built in the late 18th century and lived in by John Smythe, the son of the owner of Brambridge House. The house and village became closely associated with The Hampshire Hunt. Cheriton House (until the late 19th century as Cheriton Lodge) was later owned by Major Chalres Reid Barrett, brother-in-law of the master of the Hampshire Hunt. Major Barrett died in 1847 and his wife in 1871; it was said that she had all the bridges in Cheriton painted white so that people would not miss their way when returning from the Hunt. For a brief time the house was lived in by the Long family (1872075) and then occupied by the Pigott family. The south front of vitreous grey brick with red dressings is original but the house was remodelled in the 19th century as a replica of a house in New Arlesford with a centre bay with giant pilasters carrying a broken pediment and a tall arched window reaching up in to it. The 1920s saw further modernisation. At this time, the estate consisted of 20 acres (8.1 ha) of well-timbered land, comprising four paddocks, an orchard and ornamental gardens and was owned by R Holdsworth Williams. At this time, the head gardener was Mr Knight who was very strict and would count everything in the garden to ensure that the servants picked nothing.
The house now stands in what was the former formal garden area and much of the acreage has been sold off.
Originally called Cheriton Lodge, the 18th century house stood in about 8 ha (20 acres) of gardens, paddocks and orchard. It was added to and remodelled in the 19thcentury and now the house stands only in the former formal garden area of about 1 ha (2.5 acres).
Information: July 2002
The Wessex Series
Crockford E, Cheriton
Pevsner and Lloyd The Buildings of England, 1964 p164
At Home in Cheriton p75