|HCC Site ID:||1176||Parish:||Chandlers Ford|
|Designations:||Area:||less 1 ha|
|Access:||Historic site||Ownership:||Multiple Private|
Location and Site
The site is situated on Merdon Avenue to the west of the old A33 Winchester to Chandlers Ford Road. In the 1900s much of the land was woodland and a right-of-way path still bounds the western boundary with more woodland trees on the southern one.
The house was built in the 1930s. Until her death it had been the garden of well-known plants-woman, Amy Doncaster who had a collection of plants including snowdrops, narcissus, species and hybrids with woodland plants. The garden had been considered by English Heritage for listing but not included.
There was an article in the RHS Journal, 1986, by Roy Lancaster describing the plants.
After Amy Doncaster’s death the house remained empty for a few years until it was bought by developers in early 2000s. Specimen plants were removed by Roy Lancaster before re-development, following plannng permission in 2011, for three separate dwellings with demolition of the original 1930s house.
In 2013, three separate dwellings were built on the site. Some mature woodland trees remain on the southern boundary.
Garden created in the 1930s by the renowned plantswoman, Amy Doncaster – house demolished, site now divided between three separate dwellings
Information: November 2014