|HCC Site ID:||1860||Parish:||Southwick & Widley|
|Designations:||House LB II, SINC||Area:||Medium|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Location and site
Broomfield House was originally part of the Southwick Estate, on Ports Down to the North of Portsmouth.
Broomfield House was built by Dr Thomas Waller, who in 1797 leased a piece of rough ground from Robert Thistlethwaite of Southwick Park, covenanting that within three years he would build a hunting box with appropriate grounds, spending not less than £300. Broomfield House remains part of the Southwick estate and despite many lettings and wartime requisitioning – it was the D-Day Headquarters of General Montgomery – the layout of its grounds remains unchanged from the first maps. The house was set in lawn and surrounded by trees on its east, west and north boundaries. On the south boundary a ha-ha separates the rear lawn from adjoining fields, creating an uninterrupted view of Portsdown Hill, which was described by General Sir Charles Napier who rented Broomfield House in the early 1830s. East of the house is a large walled garden whose distinctive curve shelters the rear lawn. North of the house, originally intertwined with shady walks, is woodland of mature oaks and Scots pine. Near the house are ornamental trees – copper beech, lime and London Plane; at the entrance is a yew reputed to be a 1,000 years old. Tenants have included Sir Charles Napier.
Broomfield is representative of the modest gentry houses around Portsdown Hill with the layout of its grounds unchanged.
Early 19th century house, part of the Southwick Estate, surrounded by lawn and mature trees with an unusual walled garden and an uninterrupted view of Portsdown Hill. Original layout unchanged. Occupants have included General Sir Charles Napier and General Montgomery.
HGT Research: July 2001