|HCC Site ID:||1419||Parish:||Braishfield|
|Designations:||House LB II||Area:||0.42 ha|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Multiple Private|
Location and Site
Braishfield Lodge is situated just north west of the main village centre on the Paynes Hay Road. The Village lies on the northern edge of the Hampshire basin with chalk to the north.
On the Milne Map of 1791 a building is marked as Braishfield Lodge. In 1809 Admiral Hill bought the property and rebuilt it in Late Georgian style as a small gentleman’s lodge. It was built at right angles to the road, facing the garden which runs parallel to the road. There was probably a drive round the house leading into a courtyard at the back where there were stables and an underground cistern. Following the death of Miss Hill in 1899, there were several occupants. In 1911 the owner was Sefton Purdie and in 1918 it was bought by Admiral Bacon. Purdie had planned to demolish and rebuild, but probably only added an extension on the side of the house for a billiard room, this is visible in a sales catalogue which is undated, but was printed pre-1919. Once built the billiard room would block the way round the house to the stables. In 1920 Admiral Bacon applied successfully to convert the stables into a residence and a motor house and, during the following thirty years, made alterations to the house and garden, including adding a library above the billiard room.
Following the Admiral’s death, in 1953 Lady Bacon and her daughter moved into a cottage in the village. In 1961 the owner had plans to convert it to a multiple dwelling, but it was allowed to deteriorate until it was bought by the owners of Braishfield Manor (formerly Pitt House); they retained the pastureland and other boundary areas including the old stables (now a house known as The Gatehouse) and sold the property to a developer who turned the Lodge into three houses. The garden was divided between them, the centre dwelling, named Braishfield Lodge, retains the major part of the land with an open view into the garden; brick walls were built to create small gardens for the West and East Lodges. Each dwelling has a small enclosed courtyard garden to the rear and garages were built in the remainder of the old courtyard.
The garden of 0.42 ha (1.05 acres) was planted during the occupation of the Hills; a cedar tree in the centre of the lawn became a feature. There were formal beds and 2.2ha (5.5 acres) of adjacent pastureland divided from the garden by railings and trees. The Bacons simplified the original layout and developed it as a small market garden, using some of the formal beds for growing roses; adding three greenhouses and two tennis lawns.
Following the redevelopment into three residences ( Braishfield Lodge, Braishfield Lodge East, Braishfield Lodge West) the owners of the Lodge have made changes to the main garden. The yew hedge bordering the road was rejuvenated in the 1960s and it, and the topiaried yews have been maintained. During the 1960s a small stable of two loose boxes was added behind a hedge. The present owners of Braishfield Lodge, have simplified the planting of the garden and taken advantage of the more open view following the gale of 1991 when the large cedar tree blew down; the cob wall has been renovated and planted with espaliered fruit trees; they have also added a small new greenhouse.
A small late Georgian house with a C19 pleasure ground and kitchen gardens. Before WWII the grounds were run as a market garden. In 1962, the estate was sold, and the property and pleasure ground were divided into 3 separate residences and gardens, retaining some of the original vistas.
HGT Research, February 2005