|HCC Site ID:||1006||Parish:||Boldre|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Multiple residences|
Location and site
The first three properties are situated on sites between the ‘Y’ road junction of the road leading to Batramsley Cross to the west, Boldre and Boldre Lane to the east, with Boldre Grange, a larger property to the north.
Boldre Hill was built by Admiral Brine in 1833 from Naval prize money on the site of an old cottage. Part of the estate included Buckland Rings, the site of a Roman camp and earlier earthworks. Early this century the owner was Mr Meischke-Smith, who travelled extensively in China and Tibet, and probably brought back plants for the garden. His wife was a keen gardener and it was noted that as well as many choice and rare plants being grown, including a sequoia and an evergreen oak, there was a lake and sunken garden.
21.6 ha (54 acres)
Rope Hill (now Hill House School) was also owned by Admiral Brine, and in the early part of the century by his grandson, Captain Knapton. Some parts of the house are said to date from Queen Anne. Campion in 1923 wrote that ‘pleasing views are obtained across the sloping lawns adorned with old pines, …… in one part .. there is a very old garden section, containing a fig tree, probably coeval with the original house’. It is now a school.
2.4 ha (6 acres)
The house, lodge, pergola and wall at Boldre Grange are all Grade II listed buildings. The house, and it is assumed the pergola and wall were designed by R N Shaw of the Arts and Crafts movement, and built in 1874 for John Lane Shrubb. In a sale notice of 1921 the gardens and grounds were described as great features, with lake, woodland, pleasure grounds and ample glasshouse. 20 years later the walled kitchen garden of 1.5 acres was also mentioned, all of the garden was then in a poor state. In 1955 the house and, it is assumed the grounds, were divided into 3.
23 ha (58 acres)
4.1 ha (c10 acres)
These properties reflect a time of affluence in the mid 19th century with designed grounds, plants being brought in from other countries, and a tightly knit community of travellers and military men. They are worth considering for inclusion in the Local Register because of their group value to the local landscape.