|HCC Site ID:||1314||Parish:||Bramshott & Liphook|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Location and site
Bohunt Manor lies south-west of Liphook and west of the B2007 to Bramshott in a natural valley.
Originally part of Sussex, the Manor of Rogate-Bohunt has an ancient history. A farm was recorded on the site as early as 1565. The present house designed by Unsworth was built in 1927 on the site of an 18th century farmhouse and stones from the earlier building were used in its construction.
The main feature of the site is a large lake of almost 3 acres. Originally a fishpond formed in a natural valley by damming up the lower end with a bank, the lake is fed by a spring. The lake has a sluice at its western end that creates a marsh.
The present gardens were mainly begun after 1953 when the property was bought by Sir Adrian & Lady Holman who sought the advice of George Brown, Assistant Curator at Kew. Specimen trees were planted and woodland walks created around the lake which was stocked with exotic wild fowl. Between the lake and the house are herbaceous borders and terraced lawns. The walled kitchen garden was planted with rose trees.
Lady Holman continued to live at Bohunt after the death of her husband although the land had been gifted to the World Wildlife Fund by Sir Adrian. After her death in 2005 the WWF decided to sell the property.
The Estate was bought by Geriwell Managemnt SA, who invested in the management of the estate, remodelling the lake and planting a tree buffer of nature species as well as forming an ecology park to the west of the house. The house was sold in 2007 to IML and converted to offices. The coach house and barn were also sold, the coach house demolished and a new house built on its site, the barn converted for ancillary use. 13.1 ha of arable farmland to the east of the house and its gardens as far as the Portsmouth road became known as the Frontage Land which has been the subject of attempted mix-use development up to the present (2013).
Bohunt Manor, the lake and woodland gardens retain the appearance of the mid-20th century when created by Sir Adrian and Lady Holman with the woodland garden, a lakeside walk, herbaceous borders and flowering spring shrubs.
20th century house by Unsworth with woodland garden created in the 1950s, large lake with lakeside walks, herbaceous borders and spring shrubberies. Now the site of IML for offices.
HGT Research: February 2006 update 2013
Management Report, Geriwell Management SA 2007