|HCC Site ID:||1836||Parish:||Horndean|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Location and Site
Blendworth House is to the east of Horndean at the top of an incline, south facing and to the west of a quiet village lane and just north of the village church. It is in a rural farming settlement and within ‘the Downland Mosaic landscape’ that comprises an area of chalk downland which extends further westwards (SDNP LCA). It is in the South Downs National Park.
The flint rectory was built in 1850 at the same time as the adjacent Holy Trinity Church, both designed by Habersons of London (PCRO CHU40/4/G14). The first edition 1870s OS map shows a large formal garden possibly walled to the west of the house, south of the formal area there is a block of shrub or tree planting and beyond this, there are specimen trees in the parkland. To the north of the drive are two clumps of fir trees between the house and Crabden lane. The Lane formed the eastern parkland boundary; the other three were surrounded by farmland and delineated by lines of deciduous trees. By the beginning of the 20th century, the grounds included a chalk pit to the west of the block of trees and the boundary trees had disappeared, probably when the farmland was sold and additional land was purchased including the ancient wood of Blendworth Lith to the west of the house (HRO 4M55/1). The Rectory became a private dwelling in the 1930s. In 1954, planning permission was given to erect temporary timber buildings and other outbuildings were used as offices that continued to be renewed every five years until the property was sold in 2001 (EHDC 21339).
The house is in a rural farming settlement facing open lawns at the front which are screened from the road by trees. The glass house still stands and the gardens to the south of the house retain their formal design with a central path with each side a square lawn and central flower bed. The path leads through a hedge to a circular viewing point. To the rear are more lawns which overlook the ancient woodland of Blendworth Lith. Several outbuildings appeared to be in use (Site visit 2011).
A mid-19th century rectory that became a private dwelling in the 1930s. By the beginning of the 20th century the grounds were extended to include the ancient woodland of Blendworth Lith and additional pasture. The gardens are mainly laid to lawns although the southern one retains a formal design. Specimen trees remain.
HGT Research: November 2011
Hampshire Record Office (HRO)
4M55/1 Altered Tithe apportionment
Portsmouth City Record Office (PCRO)
CHU40/4/G14 or G17
1st 25” OS 1870 map
2nd 25” OS 1897 map
EHDC 21339 East Hampshire District Council planning application
Site visits: HGT researchers 2001, 2002 and 2011
SDNP LCA South Downs National Park, Local Character Assessment http://www.southdowns.gov.uk/data/assets/pdf_file/0004/164443/LCT_D_Downland_Mosaic.pdf
Click here to visit Kniighton Seymour estate web page