|HCC Site ID.||1979||Parish:||Blackmoor|
|Designations:||CA, LB II*||Area:||n/k|
|Access:||Public Access||Ownership:||Blackmoor War Memorial Trust|
The Memorial and Garden were commissioned by the second Lord Selborne and built in 1920 to the designs of architect Sir Herbert Baker with bronze plaques by sculptor Charles Wheeler. It was a gift in memory of Lord Selborne’s son killed in WWI and all the men of Blackmore killed in 1914-18 plus a memorial to all the children of the parish. In addition the memorial includes those killed in 1940-45. It is set within parkland left to the parish.
The small garden consisting of an oblong lawn is outlined by Roses set in stone edged beds within the arms of a magnificent stone walled and slated timber framed cloister adorned with bronze memorial plaques and a water fountain. To one side is a parkland with 100 year old Oaks under planted with Hollies and with Crocus and Narcissus scattered in the grass.
HGT Research: March 2015
Blackmoor and its People (Blackmoor Archive Society2000)
Heritage Team, EHDC, Penns Place, Petersfield, GU31 4EX: Blackmoor Conservation
Google web sites