|HCC Site ID:||1497||Parish:||Bighton|
|Designations:||House LB II||Area:|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Location and Site
A listed Grade II house, Bighton house is approached through a long, main drive through parkland. The north lawn has a circular ornamental pond with lightly wooded gardens nearby. The south elevation looks over undulating lawns leading to open parkland. Features include a summerhouse, orangery and south-facing terrace enclosed by ornamental trellising with a central arch. There is flint walled garden, an orchard/kitchen garden and a traditional bothy. A Dutch barn, stables and a listed Grade II Beehive lodge dating from the early 19th century.
Approached by a long ½ mile drive, past thatched Beehive cottage. Ornamental ponds, rose gardens bordered by yew hedges, an undulating lawn to open parkland and, beyond, rolling countryside. Originally surrounded by about 113 ha (280 acres) of woodland.
To be updated (2013)
Photographs June 2016