|HCC Site ID:||1597||Parish:||Wickham|
|Designations:||House LB II||Area:||small|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Location and Site
Beverley lies on the B2177 in Wickham, close to the A32. The main entrance avenue and lodge to Rookesbury Park, Wickham, are to the east of the site. The area lies in the clay lowlands of the Meon River.
Soon after the new house was built at Rookesbury (1824), it seems the two unmarried daughters of George Charles Garnier moved to live in Beverley. There is a description of the Gardens of the Misses Garnier in The Gardeners’ Chronicle, 1834, by the ‘Conductor’; (it is not clear who he was). It starts: ‘In the course of our tour, in the autumn of 1833, we called at the villa of the Misses Garnier, near Wickham… The grounds are flat with no exterior advantages whatever, and therefore the merits of these gardens are entirely dependent on art. The walks and beds are laid out according to the ground plan (fig 15); the beds are judiciously planted and the order and keeping of the whole are of the very highest and most refined description’. There are descriptions of the gardens and sketches of a seat formed of moss and hazel rods; trellised arches for climbers; and rustic vases and iron rods for roses and other slender-growing shrubs together with a full plan of the gardens with the figures identified.
This is followed by the ‘work done in a Monthly Calendar’, dated 1834 and written by James Moore, Gardener to the Misses Garnier. There was a walled garden to the west of the flower gardens.
Future members of the Garnier family who lived at Beverley did not have the same skills as the Misses Garnier and once they had died the garden never regained its former glory.
The house is still part of the Carpenter-Garnier Estate and is currently tenanted. A little of the Misses Garniers’ intricate plan near the house can just be seen but little else other than the garden’s shape remains, including the walled garden. A visit revealed the remains of an old seat but this was not the one described in the Gardeners’ Chronicle.
Early-mid 19th century garden designed by the Misses Garnier, sister of Thomas Garnier, Dean of Winchester with elaborate planting schemes, trellised arches and a seat formed of moss and hazel rods. The intricacy of the garden not maintained after the sisters’ death, though the bones of the layout are still visible.
HGT research compiled for a Research Group visit September 2008
Gardeners’ Chronicle 1833 LIndley Library
Garnier, A E The Chronicles of the Garniers, 1530-1900/B1076 Hampshire Record Office
Oral David Crossley, Estate Manager, the Rookesbury (Carpenter-Garnier) Estate