|HCC Site ID:||1587||Parish:||Upham|
|Designations:||House LB II, SDNP||Area:|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Corporate?|
Location and Site
The house stands on rising ground in an outstanding position on the road from Morestead to Corhampton, on Belmore Lane. The park (once 93 acres) provides protection to the mansion and the estate consists of Priest Wood adjoining the garden to the North West (4.5 acres), and more open parkland to the south and east. The whole lies in an area of outstanding natural beauty. There are long views to the south and south east to Stephens Castle Down. It is now within the South Downs National Park. The soil is medium loam over chalk.
Belmore Park is thought to have originally formed the northern boundary of the ‘Bishop’s Park’, part of a vast estate belonging to the church in the 12th century. The house is Georgian in appearance but has earlier interior features and later 19th century additions. At one time it belonged to Walter Long. There was also an extensive refurbishment in the 1960s. The house is cement rendered brick under a double ridge of mellow red-tiled roof with a part castellated and part plain parapet. The windows are sash on the ground floor and casement on the first floor.
Priest Wood (4.5 acres) adjoining the garden to the north west of the house, has mature oak and beech, with hazel coppices interspersed with rides or paths. To the south and east of the house there is parkland. The 1983 Sales Details also describe a lawn backed by a ha-ha dividing the park from the garden. There are fruit trees, a partly walled garden and greenhouse. The park is in permanent pasture and studded with mature specimen trees, including clumps of horse chestnut, ash, sycamore, oak, beech and walnut. A significant shelter belt of natural beech is also described. A new drive to the south was introduced in the latter part of the 20th century with cattle grids.
The park appears to be much as described in 1983 but it has not been possible to view either it or the gardens (2012).
A Georgian house with later 19th century additions, in small but compact Brown-style parkland with woodland rides or paths, open park with extensive views to the south and specimen and clumps of trees.
Hampshire Record Office
8M49/E25 The Belmore Estate including part of Stephen’s Castle Down, Upham
Abstract of title 1876-1892
38M82/4 Clutton Sales Catalogue 1983