|HCC Site ID.||1646||Parish:||Bedhampton (E)|
Image © Hampshire Library and Information Service – Hampshire County Council
A mid 18th century estate of some 150 acres; a century later it had been reduced to just over 100 acres. Some 4.5 acres formed the house and gardens of Belmont Castle, which was built around 1800.
By 1908, 20 acres comprised paddocks, parkland and gardens immediately surrounding Belmont House. The estate was broken up during the 1930s and developed for housing before and after the war. During the war, part of the estate was occupied by a Royal Navy transit camp. The Royal Navy sold some of the permanent buildings to the Church of England that now forms Gwatkin Hall. The house was demolished in the 1930s.
Information from John Pile – Belmont:Notes on the History of the Belmont Estate in Bedhampton & HGT Research c1996/97