|HCC Site ID:||1556||Parish:||Old Alresford|
|Designations:||House LB II, SMR||Area:||c23.5 ha|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Site and Location
Armsworth Park is situated North of Abbotsone, between Upper Wield and Totford.
Armsworth Park House is a Grade II listed mid-nineteenth century house set within a parkland of about 20.25 ha (50 acres). On Milne’s map of 1791 a substantial house and other buildings are identified as Lower Harmsworth in the possession of the ‘Hon. Cap’n. Rodney’ probably on the site of the present Armsworth Park Farm. This is later named as Armsworth House on the 1st edition 1” OS map (c1817). The Tithe map of 1839 shows the estate was owned by Lord Rodney, the owner of Old Alresford House, who retained the woodland but let out the house and grounds and two fields to General Thackary, the rest was let to Richard Bailey Whitear. The pasture field named ‘The Lawn’ suggests that a small park had been established which confirms that indicated on the OS Drawing c1808. About 1862 a new house described ‘as in the Italian renaissance style surrounded by a well timbered park of fifty acres’ was built to the north probably for Thomas Alderman Houghton. The 1870 25” OS map shows this house surrounded by gardens and an orchard and kitchen garden to the north and the lodge to the southwest with a serpentine drive through a well-treed park. The 1896 OS map shows a belt of trees planted along the north boundary of the park, the Long Plantation, probably planted for shelter and to visually enclose the park.
There have been alterations to the house with the removal of the southern part, sometime between 1961 and 1977, however the layout of the park, gardens, and grounds has changed very little from that shown on the nineteenth century OS maps, although now in divided ownership. The drive remains in the same position, most of the park is still grazed pasture with a number of parkland trees and it is still enclosed by woodland belts and hedgerows including to the north by the Long Plantation. The parkland trees are mainly oak with some beech, lime, ash, and sycamore. Many of the original garden features have been retained and the original front door steps.
A small pre 1810 park landscape expanded in the mid nineteenth century with the development of a new house and garden. The southern part of the new house demolished mid-twentieth century but layout of the park and gardens remain relatively intact and retain much of their original character.
Based on research by Sybil Wade (July 1996), collated November 2002