|HCC Site ID.||1598||Parish:||Winchester|
Abbotts Barton Farmhouse is a very complete example of a good timber-framed farmhouse dating back to 1491-6. It has a C17 chimney stack and an C18 brick front of which there are not many examples in the area. It belonged originally to the Hyde Abbey who leased it as a farmhouse. The recent vogue for spelling it Abbott’s Barton has no historical validity and obscures the link with Hyde Abbey.
An C18 cottage adjoins the farmhouse and the C18 dovecote is a square red-brick building on stone and flint foundations, possibly a re-building of a C16 dovecote.
A nearby two-storey stable of c1799 is now a shop.
There are contemporary internal features of significance and high quality for the type of house in the fireplaces, the staircases, the C18 stone floor and the panelling. It contains visible fragments of earlier stone buildings relating to the Home Farm of Hyde Abbey (founded in 1110) which if excavated would potentially shed light on the development of land north of Winchester in the Middle Ages.
In the 20th century Winchester City Council owned the Farmhouse and the surrounding land. The latter was sold off for housing and after unsuccessful attempts to keep it for community use, the Farmhouse was put on to the open market in 1989. Bought privately on a 125 year lease, the owners were granted an enfranchisement of freehold in 2003 with a clause for open access for a certain number of specified times each year.
The garden was overgrown in 1989 but has now been replanted although historically only the dovecote is apparently of significance.
Very complete example of good timber-framed farmhouse, 1491-96 originally belonging to Hyde Abbey. Privately owned with open access clause; garden replanted; C18 dovecote.
Information from Hampshire County Council: 2004