Other

You are here: Home  > Other

Showing 100 from 129 Items
  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Ampfield House

    HCC Summary: Its significance lies in the position of the grounds in relation to the countryside which surrounds it, most of which has remained unchanged since the early 19th century.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1407 Parish: Ampfield
    Designations: House LB II*, Stables & Garden Wall LB II Area: n/k
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Hillier Nurseries

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Anglesey Lodge (now Anglesey Lodge Care Home)

    HCC Summary: House stucco faced villa c.1830-40 LB II. Some of the layout and planting of the early C19 villa garden remains.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1927 Parish:
    Designations: Lodge LB II Area: n/k
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Hampshire County Council

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Appletree Court

    HCC Summary: A small park from ‘wasten’ of the New Forest in 1919 A small area of designed garden, pond and woodland; Sold in 1922 various owners, in 1941 sold to a petroleum company. In 1953 sold to the New Forest District Council to bring all their offices under one roof, and has remained so to date.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1000 Parish: Lyndhurst
    Designations: CA, NFNP Area: 2 ha
    Access: Access to Council Offices Ownership: New Forest District Council

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Ashley-Arnewood

    HCC Summary: Now an old people’s home.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1003 Parish: New Milton
    Designations: Area: n/k
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Avon Tyrrell (Historic England)

    HE Summary: Late C19 formal gardens and pleasure grounds probably by H E Milner, laid out around a new country house by W R Lethaby.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1083 Parish: Sopley
    Designations: HE Grade II Area:
    Access: Public Access by arrangement Ownership:

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Bartley Lodge Hotel (Bartley Manor House)

    HCC Summary: 1870s Bartley Manor House and park, by early C20 walled garden, greenhouses, pond, tree lined approach drive, belts and clumps, lodge, conservatory; now a hotel..
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1071 Parish: Copythorne
    Designations: NFNP Area: n/k
    Access: Public Access to the Hotel Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Bassett Wood

    HCC Summary:
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1683 Parish: Southampton Unitary Authority
    Designations: Stream – open space Area: 40.5 ha before estate was divided up
    Access: No Public Access except small open area Ownership: Private housing/ small area of open space

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Bay House School

    HCC Summary: Grade II Gothic-style house built in 1838-40. Large woodland in grounds. 17 acres, including the woodland donated in 1944 to Gosport to form Stanley Park. Bay House now a Gosport Academy, with grounds mainly built over.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1748 Parish: Gosport
    Designations: House and Lodge LB II Area:
    Access: Access to School Ownership: Gosport Borough Council

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Berehill House Care Home (Berehill House)

    C19 park; developed by 2012, House now a Care Home
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1279 Parish: Whitchurch
    Designations: CA Area: n/k
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched – click the name above for some research information and OS maps

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Bishop's Waltham Palace

    HCC Summary: Deer Park1086 for the Bishop of Winchester. Medieval ruins of one of the houses used by the senior clergy of Winchester when they were travelling around their diocese
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1503 Parish: Bishop’s Waltham
    Designations: CA Area:
    Access: See opening Times Ownership: English Heritage

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Blackbrook House Residential Care Home (Blackbrook House)

    HCC Summary: House LB II; mostly developed.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1612 Parish: Fareham
    Designations: Area: n/k
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Boundary Oak School (Roche Court)

    HCC Summary: A medieval estate. Parkland established during C18 and remained into mid C20. Early C19 lodge & gatehouse. The house redesigned in early C20. The estate sold in 1936, it served the armed forces until 1960 became a school.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1611 Parish: Unparished
    Designations: Gatehouse LB II Area: 9.31ha
    Access: Access to School Ownership: Southwick Estate?

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Bramble Hill Hotel (Bramble Hill Lodge)

    HCC Summary: Medieval hostelry; garden early C20; now a hotel.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1076 Parish: Bramshaw
    Designations: AHBR, NFNP, SSSI Area: n/k
    Access: Public Access to hotel Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Bramshott Place Retirement Village (Bramshott Manor, Bramshott Grange)

    HCC Summary: Situated near remains of C16 manor, Bramshott Place; 1870s parkland, icehouse, became King George’s Hospital for Seamen (demolished); C16 gatehouse, Tudor walled garden, C19 lodge, fine parkland trees, by- pass Radford Public Park now occupies the south part of the site.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1316 Parish: Bramshott & Liphook
    Designations: Gatehouse tower LB II Area:
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Site developed for housing

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Branksmere House

    HCC Summary: House, walls/piers all LB II. Attributed to A E Cogswell. Built 1895 as private house, has been school, WWI hospital, police station. Now Social Services offices. Garden has footpaths and lake with bridges.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1740 Parish: Portsea (E)
    Designations: CA Area:
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Brockwood Park School

    HCC Summary: Farm transformed mid-18th century into a parkland estate with subsequent additions in the 19th century. Features remaining are the parkland and 19th century pergolas, rose garden and many specimen trees. Now a Krishnamurti School.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1501 Parish: Bramdean
    Designations: SMR, House LB II, SDNP Area: Originally c 354
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Brockwood School &
    Krishnamurti Centre

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Burgate Manor, Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust

    HCC Summary: The site reflects its earlier importance which took advantage of the water meadows, the fishing and woodland, as well as the prominence of the house standing on high ground overlooking the River Avon
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1110 Parish: Fordingbridge
    Designations: House LB II, TPO 1017 Area: c7.3 ha
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: The Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Burley Manor Hotel

    HCC Summary: House LB II; park held the 12 apostles (giant oaks); ornamental lake, walled garden greenhouses; now a hotel.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1091 Parish: Burley
    Designations: NFNP Area: n/k
    Access: Public Access to hotel Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Cathedral Close

    HCC Summary: Close planted by Dean Garnier between 1840-1873.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1915 Parish: Winchester
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Some Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Cheam School (Beenham Court)

    Late C19 park, in 1921 estate of c809ha; House LB II.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1195 Parish: Ashford Hill with Headley
    Designations: (see below) Area: 32.4 ha
    Access: Access to School Ownership: Boarding and day school/
    Cheam School Educational Trust

    Designations: House LB II, TPO (small fragments of the Kingscelere Woodland in Headley), Ancient Woodland Inventory,
    Map 26 (Woods form the visual boundary of the property to the west)
    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Chiltlee Manor House

    HCC Summary: Mid C19 park, now housing development; house (LB II) now offices.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1883 Parish: Bramshott & Liphook
    Designations: CA Area: n/k
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Chilworth Manor Hotel (Chilworth Manor)

    HCC Summary: Victorian landscaped park from an older deer park. House brick built in stages & garden developed. Now a hotel, conference centre & University of Southampton Science Park.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1422 Parish: Chilworth
    Designations: SINC, Lodges LB II Area: 5.05 ha
    Access: Public Access to hotel Ownership: Chilworth Manor Hotel and
    University of Southampton

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Coldeast (Gold East, Cold East Farm,Coldeast Hospital)

    HCC Summary: Mid to late C18 farm house became a country estate with parkland in C19.Start of C20 the pleasure grounds were extended. In 1925, it became a hospital. The hospital closed at start of C21. In 2011, the site developed for housing.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1617 Parish: Fareham
    Designations: SINC Area: unknown
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Multiple private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Coxlease School, The Priory (High Coxlease)

    HCC Summary:
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1008 Parish: Lyndhurst
    Designations: House LB II*, NFNP Area: c4 ha
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Primary Health Care School/Priory Education
    Services for children with Special Needs

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Danebury House

    HCC Summary: Site of old racecourse, mentioned in 1735; now a vineyard.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1934 Parish: Nether Wallop
    Designations: Area:
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Ditcham Park School (Ditcham Grove, Ditcham House)

    HCC Summary: House burnt down late C19, new house built, probably designed by Walter Cave – then estate of 404 ha (1000 acres) with 3 farms; views; now a school and golf course.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1326 Parish: Buriton
    Designations: SDNP, SINC Area: 1921 – 667.7 ha; 2007 – 44.5 ha
    Access: Access to school Ownership: Private School/
    Ditcham Park School Ltd

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Dovercourt

    HCC Summary: House c1848 LB II, T E Owen’s own house, now a school. Grotto, mature trees, new landscaping c1996 includes hazel tunnel and bark path..
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1887 Parish: Portsea (E)
    Designations: CA Area:
    Access: School Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Dunwood Manor Nursing Home (Dunwood Manor)

    HCC Summary: Now a Nursing Home
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1481 Parish: Sherfield English
    Designations: SINC Area:
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Elmers Court Country Club (Elmers Court, The Elms)

    HCC Summary: Lake, views of Lymington.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1484 Parish: Boldre

    Designations: AONB Area: n/k
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched – click the name above for some more photographs

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Elvetham (Historic England)

    HE Summary: A park of C14 origin which was landscaped in 1591 to provide a setting for the Elvetham Entertainment for Queen Elizabeth; it was extended, improved, and planted in the C18 and early C19, possibly with assistance in the late C18 from the designer William Emes, and then, from the mid C19 to early C20, given extensive formal and ornamental gardens by S S Teulon and William Goldring, to accompany the building of the present house.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1140 Parish: Hartley Wintney
    Designations: HE II* Area: 140 ha registered site,
    10 ha garden
    Access: Access to Hotel
    /Conference Centre
    Ownership: Hotel & Conference Centre

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Enham-Alamein (Enham Place, Enham House)

    HCC Summary: Site of a large house & parkland known as Enham House or Place. A classical C18 house then a Victorian mansion, it became a rehabilitation home for disabled WWI Soldiers. Today a village of 90 residents living in specially adapted houses & flats & a day centre for disabled people.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1411 Parish: Andover
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Access to Care home and housing Ownership: Enham – Registered Charity

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Farleigh School, (Red Rice)

    HCC Summary: Early Georgian house, remodeled mid C19, set in well-wooded park. Fine arboretum developed. Early C20 Japanese garden. Large kitchen garden now in separate ownership. Late C20 became a school, extra buildings.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1490 Parish: Upper Clatford
    Designations: Lodge & Gatepiers LB II Area: 10 ha
    Access: Access to school Ownership: IAPS Roman Catholic Boarding and
    Day Prep School

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Farnborough Grange

    HCC Summary:
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1742 Parish: Cherrywood Ward, Rushmoor
    Designations: Area:
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Housing Estate

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Farnborough Hill School

    Originally a large estate that occupied a plantation of fishponds, cricket ground, cycle track, and icehouse to the west of the A325, is now a housing estate except for 24 acres (c10 ha) of the Queen Elizabeth Woodland Park in the south. The eastern part of the estate largely remains and is owned by Farnborough Hill Convent School. The house was designed by H.E. Kendall in 1860 with later school additions by Albert Scott Gilbert. Gardens and parkland occupy a significant green space in an otherwise build-up area. The house and association with Empress Eugenie, mausoleum and St Michael’s Abbey, designed in the French style by Destaillier in The Coombs, is an added dimension to the areas historical heritage.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1741 Parish: Empress Ward, Rushmoor
    Designations: Grade I listing Area: 60 acres
    Access: Access to School Ownership: The Farnborough Hill Trust

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Forest Research Alice Holt Lodge (Great Lodge Park)

    HCC Summary: C16 hunting lodge in a deer park enclosure. C18 became a landscape park. C19 new Lodge was built. Lodge Pond was formed by damming a stream. In 1924 the Forestry Commission moved into the Lodge, and after World War 2, it became a Forest Research Station. Specimen trees remain. A small arboretum has been planted. The Park and Lodge Pond are now within the SDNP.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1795 Parish: Binstead
    Designations: SDNP Area:
    Access: No Public Access to the Lodge Ownership: Research Offices/
    Forestry Commission

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Forres Sandle Manor Independent Preparatory School

    HCC Summary: Sandhill Manor mentioned in C13. In 1887 a newly created house on the site. In 1936 Pembroke Lodge School moved to house and became Sandle Manor School. Many changes over the years. Forres School from Swanage joined Sandle Manor in 1993.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1082 Parish: Sandleheath
    Designations: CA, House LB II Area: 14 ha in 1936 21 ha
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Forres Sandle Manor Independent Preparatory School

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Foxlease

    HCC Summary: Original house C16 timber-framed lodge. Mid C18 house much extended & landscaped parkland developed. In 1922, house & 65 acres given to Girl Guides Association. It has been used as a training & activity centre, with additional facilities.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1013 Parish: Lyndhurst
    Designations: CA, House LB II*, LP, NFNP Area: 29.5 ha
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Girl Guide Association

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Grateley House School, (Grateley House)

    HCC Summary: Mid-Victorian landscaped park with small garden; mid C19 remodelling 1830–1840 house; parkland survives as does the Wellingtonia. Much school building in 2005 encroaching on garden & edge of parkland.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1435 Parish: Grateley
    Designations: House LB II Area: 3.9456 ha
    Access: Access to school Ownership: Grateley House School/
    Cambrian Educational Services

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Grayshott Hall

    HCC Summary: In 1907 18.2ha of parkland; Alfred, Lord Tennyson lived here; Wishanger Lodge – Cottage ornee. Now a Health Centre.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1320 Parish: Grayshott
    Designations: SSSI Area: n/k
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Grove Place Retirement Village (Atherley School, Grove Place)

    HCC Summary: Elizabethan house built 1561. First half of C19, a private lunatic asylum. Sold in 1895 restored interior & created more extensive gardens. Occupied 1961-2006 by schools, built class room blocks, playing fields & tennis courts. Now a Care Home. Some historic features remain.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1464 Parish: Nursling & Rownhams
    Designations: House LB I Area:
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private Retirement Home

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Hampshire Collegiate School, The (Embley Park) (Historic England)

    HE Summary: A C19 and early C20 informal woodland and shrub garden, of late C18 origin, surrounding the home in the C19 of Florence Nightingale, with additional mid C19 and early C20 formal terraces. House and garden are set within a park, also of late C18 origin, which was extensively planted as parkland and with woodland during the C19.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1491 Parish: Wellow
    Designations: HE Grade II* Area:
    Access: Access to School only Ownership: Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Headley Park

    HCC Summary: Noted for 300 year old Scots pines and a mid-C18 Temple; following early C19 decline, a new house and restored parkland introduced later. Now a hotel.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1360 Parish: Headley
    Designations: SINC, SSSI Area: c166 ha (411 acres) in 19th century;
    22.3 ha (55 acres) in 2010
    Access: Access to hotel Ownership: Private/Multiple ownership

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Hill House School (Ropehill House)

    HCC Summary: Part of house late C17 but modified later & gardens laid out in C19 & exotic plants included. Now a school.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1803 Parish: Boldre
    Designations: NFNP; Area: 2.4 ha (6 acres)
    Access: Access to School only Ownership:

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Hoburne Bashley (Bashley Lodge & Park)

    HCC Summary: 40.5ha; was the estate of Bashley lodge; any original gardens have disappeared, some woodland remains; now a holiday camp with the house as an administrative centre..
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1004 Parish: New Milton
    Designations: NFNP Area: 40.5 ha
    Access: Holiday Camps Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Holly Bank Lodge

    HCC Summary: A C19 villa, part of Hollybank estate, with parkland. The estate is now a golf course & housing estate, with Hollybank Lodge still exists as a private house.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1061 Parish: Hythe and Dibden
    Designations: Area: ha
    Access: Accessible Ownership: Multiple Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Holybourne School

    HCC Summary: House (LB II); originally laid out with serpentine walks and coniferous trees, only a few trees remain..
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1298 Parish: Alton
    Designations: Area: n/k
    Access: Access to school Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Hordle Walhampton School

    HCC Summary: House built in C17/C18 with various later modifications. The landscape has been early C18 formal, late C18 English & late C19/C20 Italianate revival & Arts & Crafts. In 1948 became a prep-school & various buildings added over the years.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1031 Parish: Boldre
    Designations: House LB II*; NFNP, SINC Area: 39.2 ha (98 acres)
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Charitable Trust

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Hythe Hospital (White House Hospital, Langdown Lodge)

    HCC Summary: Built in mid C19 as a Langdown Lodge enhanced in early C20. By 1934 had become a hospital with further buildings built over the years. Some parts of gardens have been developed for housing.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1064 Parish: Hythe and Dibden
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Hospital access and housing estate Ownership: NHS & Multiple Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    King John's Hunting Lodge

    HCC Summary: House LB I built in C18 in the Dutch manner as eyecatcher and folly for Dogmersfield mansion. Bought by designer John Fowler in 1946, who created the garden in the Dutch style, and left it to the NT.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1146 Parish: Odiham
    Designations: Lodge LB II Area:
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Residence/NT

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Kingscourt School (Catherington House)

    HCC Summary: C18 House (LB II) built by and home of Admiral Hood. Wooded park and luxuriant pleasure grounds created in C19. Became a school in 1994; some specimen trees remain.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1333 Parish: Horndean
    Designations: House LB II Area: 19 C 65 acres (26.3 ha),
    now 8.9 ha (22 acres)
    Access: Access to School Ownership: Kings Court Private School

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Kitnocks House

    HCC Summary: Post 1810 Park and garden; now a Care Home
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1948 Parish: Curdridge
    Designations: Area:
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Lainston House Hotel (Historic England)

    HE Summary: Formal terraced and walled gardens of C17 and early C18 origin, the principal features being laid out axially to east and west of a small country house dating largely from a similar period set within an early C20 park. Gertrude Jekyll prepared plans for the gardens in 1923.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1572 Parish: Sparsholt
    Designations: HE Grade II* LB II* – House, walled garden & dovecote;
    LB II  – barn, granary and walls Park:
    Area: 22 ha
    Access: Public Access to hotel and grounds Ownership: Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Langrish House Hotel (Langrish House)

    HCC Summary: C19 park; icehouse, large pond, house now a hotel
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1368 Parish: Langrish
    Designations: SDNP Area: 5.8 ha
    Access: Access to hotel Ownership: Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Lansdowne Gardens (Lansdowne Nursery)

    HCC Summary: C17 site, added a pleasure ground with unusual encircling serpentine walls, with an ornamental portico entrance. C19 became a nursery, in 1960s redevelopment for housing. Substantial parts of the Curved wall remain with grassed areas & the portico.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1472 Parish: Romsey
    Designations: Lodge & garden walls LB II Area: Small
    Access: Access to roads round the houses Ownership: Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Le Court (Lancourt, Lay Court, La Court, Lee Court)

    HCC Summary: Anglo-Saxon farming manor. C19 developed, with parkland and new mansion. C20 Leonard Cheshire Home, closed in 2007. Some parkland remain & a public Memorial Garden created with most of estate sold for housing.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1354 Parish: Greatham
    Designations: AHBR, SDNP, SINC, SSSI Area: 4 ha
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Multiple

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Lime Wood Hotel (Parkhill House)

    HCC Summary: 1665 farmhouse on site. Mid C19 converted to gentleman’s residence. In 1877 converted to a school. In 1920 returned to residential use. During WW II used by National Fire Service. After War sold to become a Hotel again. The hotel has been various owners since.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1121 Parish: Lyndhurst
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Access to Hotel Ownership: Boutique Hotel

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Loddon School, The (Drayton Manor School, Sanguilo, St Leonard's)

    Art deco garden designed by William Wood, remaining largely intact.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1976 Parish: Sherfield-on-Loddon
    Designations: None Area: 4 ha
    Access: Access to School Ownership: (see below)

    Ownership: The Loddon School Company Ltd., a registered charity
    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Manor House, The (Daneshill House)

    House (LB II) and gardens by Lutyens 1903 for Walter Hoare. Structural remains of original garden design
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1199 Parish: Lychpit and Old Basing
    Designations: House LB II Area: 0.4047ha
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Tenanted Offices
    Diageo Pension Scheme

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Manor Lodge

    HCC Summary:Post 1810 Park
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1296 Parish:
    Designations: I Area: n/k
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Marchwood Priory Hospital & Park

    The significance of the site lies in the prominence of the elevated setting and the survival of walled gardens and lake, which lie not far from the 20th century developments of Fawley Power Station and Fawley Refinery.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1055 Parish: Marchwood
    Designations: House LB II* Area: n/k
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Marwell Zoological Park

    HCC Summary: Early deer park, Medieval Hall re-built after 1815, incorporating part of the older house. Park became a zoo in 1972. Hall is now a hotel.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1563 Parish: Owslebury
    Designations: Hall LB I, SINC, SMR Area:
    Access: Public Access to Zoo only Ownership: Marwell Zoological Park

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Master's Garden, The Hospital of St Cross

    HCC Summary: Founded in 1130s for poor men, has a walled garden with a fishpond & the Compton Garden created in 1980s with New World plants.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1604 Parish: Winchester
    Designations: CA Area: Small
    Access: Public Access – click name above Ownership: The Hospital of St Cross

    For more details & website link re opening hours, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Mill Dam House

    HCC Summary: 1846 LB II barracks and offices, now Register Office. Cobbled carriage sweep front; rear garden of lawn, island beds, gravel paths and pergolas. Railway embankment creates backdrop. Portsmouth Soc Best Restoration 1994..
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1728 Parish: Portsea (E)
    Designations: CA Area:
    Access: Public Access Ownership: n/k

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Minstead Lodge

    HCC Summary: 17ha; House LB II; large walled garden, flight of 3 stone-walled Italianate terraces, woodland shrubberies, Japanese garden built between the 2 world wars, now restored; owned by the Peter Selwood Charitable Trust, and occupied by The Minstead Training Project.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1050 Parish: Minstead
    Designations: NFNP Area: n/k
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site is being researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Moyles Court

    HCC Summary: Built in C17 possibly on site of a Tudor house. During WW II Hq for Ibbsley Airfield. Post-war it began a new life as a school.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1103 Parish: Ellingham, Harbridge and Ibsley
    Designations: House LB II, NFNP Area:
    Access: Access to School Ownership: Moyles Court School

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Naval Base and Historic Dockyard

    HCC Summary: Working Naval Base containing historic Dockyard, both with LB II/II* Dockyard Wall. Dockyard gardens provide settings for LB II/II* C18 buildings; include recreated C18 Porter’s garden; icehouse, terrace. Base includes C19 houses and ruined church
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1810 Parish: Portsea (E)
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Public Access check opening times Ownership: Portsmouth Historic Dockyard Ltd (PHDL)
    a registered charity

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Netley Abbey

    HCC Summary: A medieval monastery became a Tudor mansion and now a ruin.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1994 Parish: Hound
    Designations: Scheduled Ancient Monument Area: 6.7 ha
    Access: Public Access – check opening times Ownership: State, managed by English Heritage

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    New Park Manor Hotel (New Park)

    HCC Summary: Existing house built in 1660-72 & estate was enlarged in 1672 to provide a herd of red deer. The house became a hotel about 1960 & a large extension added in the 1980s.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1016 Parish: Brockenhurst
    Designations: House LB II, SINC Area:
    Access: Access to Hotel Ownership:

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    New Place

    HCC Summary: 1906 Jacobean style red brick house to house ornate early C17 interiors from Bristol, set within formal Arts & Crafts style garden; Now a hotel.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1564 Parish: Shedfield
    Designations: House LB I, Garden LB II, SMR Area: 32 acres
    Access: Public Access to Hotel Ownership: De Vere Venues

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Norman Court (Norman Court Preparatory School)

    HCC Summary: An ancient manor house, replaced in 1752; enlarged in C19. Parkland & gardens reduced in size with a few significant surviving historic features; a school since 1952 until 2012 when the site was sold now another school.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1493 Parish: West Tytherley
    Designations: House LB II*, garden house, walls, &
    walls around vineyard all LBII; SSSI
    Area: 212 acres reduced to 28
    Access: Access to School Ownership:

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    North Stoneham (North Stoneham Park)

    Significance: Documented history from Anglo-Saxon period; C14 deer park; C17 park; remodelled C18 by Brown; early C20 western park sold became designed golf course (Willie Park Junior); mid C20 rest sold, multiple ownership; recognised as a strategic gap with reinstatement of part of Brown landscape; C21 housing development imminent.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1181 Parish: Eastleigh & Chilworth
    Designations: Walled garden & St Nicholas Church (LB II), SINC Area: 260.6 ha (1846)
    Access: Access to Avenue Park & public footpaths Ownership: Multiple ownership
  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Norton Park Hotel (Norton Manor)

    HCC Summary: C16 house, extended C19; restored & enlarged early C20. Small, formal gardens with a fishpond/lake & C19 garden features . C21 a long access drive through parkland. Now the Norton Park Hotel .
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1425 Parish: Wonston
    Designations: SMR Area: 21.85 ha
    Access: Access to Hotel Ownership: Hotel, Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Oaklands Catholic School

    HCC Summary: Built c1820 on the site of Stakes farm. In 1938, the estate was neglected. In 1946 the Sisters of the Cross opening the Holy Cross School and in 1966 Oaklands R. C. Comprehensive School.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1654 Parish: Waterlooville
    Designations: Lodge LB II;
    woodland TPO
    Area: c36.42 ha
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: R.C Comprehensive School

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Oakley Hall Hotel (Hilsea College, Oakley Hall)

    HCC Summary: Possible early C18 parkland by owner Charles Wither (Surveyor General, Royal Woods & Forests). Victorian formal garden by E Milner; house and kitchen garden walls listed (LB II); many features survive
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1249 Parish: Sherborne St John
    Designations: House LB II
    various buildings listed
    Area: 198ha
    Access: No Public Access except to Hotel Ownership: Hotel & Conference Centre and
    Nursing Home/Forest Care Ltd

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Odiham Deer Park

    HCC Summary:Recorded in 1216 belonging to the King. Pleasure garden beside the Lodge. Lodge farmhouse LB II* survives as does evidence of the park pale. Perimeter can be traced by a continuous line of hedgerows and field boundaries.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1952 Parish: Odiham
    Designations: CA, SINC, SSSI, SAM Area:
    Access: Public Access to some areas Ownership: Private
  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Park Place Pastoral Centre (Park Place)

    HCC Summary: Old deer park; Georgian house with many later additions; now a Pastoral Centre. Parkland sold off for a golf course.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1595 Parish: Wickham
    Designations: House LB II* SMR Area: Large
    Access: Access to use the Centre Ownership: Diocese of Portsmouth?

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Paultons Park And Paultons Golf Centre

    HCC Summary: In C18 a sizeable house was built & enhancements over the years. Became hotel in 1944 then in 1955 house & contents put up for sale. House did not sell burnt down in 1963. Subsequently sold in lots part creating recreational park & part golf centre .
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1075 Parish: Copythorne
    Designations: 2 Bridges & Sawmill LB II, NFNP Area: Park c60 ha; Golf Centre c66.6 ha
    Access: Public Access – see opening times Ownership: Richard Mancey & Bennelong Golf Partners

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Peninsula Barracks

    HCC Summary: An historical site with strong military connections dating from William the Conqueror through the Civil War and 19th century. Redevelopment as private residences in the 1990s, with sympathetically landscaped grounds.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1780 Parish: Winchester
    Designations: Barracks LB II Area: Small
    Access: Public Throughfare Ownership: Private residences

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Priestlands School

    HCC Summary: Original garden and parkland with scattered deciduous trees around house, and the surrounding lake; parkland, walled garden; became a school in 1957; improvements were made to the lake and surrounding pathway around 2000.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1023 Parish: Lymington
    Designations: Area: n/k
    Access: Access to School Ownership: Hampshire County Council

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Prince Consort's Army Library

    HCC Summary: Built in 1859-60 endowed by Prince Albert for education of army personnel. It was extended in 1911 & is still in use.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1744 Parish: Wellington ward, Aldershot
    Designations: Area:
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Ministry of Defence

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Prince's Mead School (Worthy Park)

    HCC Summary: Georgian house; a few parkland trees remain with views across open farmland. Land was sold off in the 1950s & the house became Prince’s Mead School in 1999.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1550 Parish: Itchen Valley
    Designations: House LB II*, SDNP, SMR Area: Medium
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Prince’s Mead School

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Ravelin Park (Solent Garrison Compound)

    HCC Summary: Army quarters on defunct glacis, bombed 1941, now University Campus. Gun House c1860; Ravelin House 1891, Victorian garden; Town Mount c1910, cottage garden; NAAFI; WWII control room; 1979 Frewen Lib awarded; copse, meadow, mature trees.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1890 Parish: Portsmouth
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Multi-ownership

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Rhinefield House Hotel (Rhinefield House) (Historic England)

    HE Summary: Gardens laid out by the partnership of William Henry Romaine-Walker and Augustus William Tanner in the late C19 as the opulent setting for a country house also built to their designs. The arboretum containing significant North American specimens was set out by J E Nelson in the late 1850s.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1024 Parish: Brockenhurst
    Designations: NFNP; HE II, LP Area:
    Access: Access to Hotel Ownership: Private Hotel

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Roke Manor Research, (Roke Manor, Roke House)

    HCC Summary: Developed in mid 1800’s. Victorian garden had ornamental grounds with specimen trees,a revolving thatched summer house & a walled garden. Since 1950s, research laboratories; little of the garden remains & parkland became playing fields with tennis courts & pavilion.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1478 Parish: Romsey Extra
    Designations: Area: 8.9 ha
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Roke Manor Research

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Romsey Abbey

    HCC Summary: Abbey LB II; gatepiers, walls, railings and gates all LB II.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1768 Parish: Romsey
    Designations: CA, SAM Area:
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Royal Pavilion

    HCC Summary: The military arrived in 1853 & a timber pavilion built, which the royal party used when reviewing the troops. This was demolished in the 1960s & replaced by a nurse training school. The site now houses a computer science complex, still called “Royal Pavilion.”
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1291 Parish: Wellington Ward, Aldershot
    Designations: Area:
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Ministry of Defence

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Rushmoor Arena

    HCC Summary:First royal review in 1935
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1792 Parish:
    Designations: I Area: n/k
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Military site

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Saint Michael's Abbey (& the Coomb)

    HCC Summary: It was founded in 1881 by the Empress Eugénie as a mausoleum for her husband Napoleon III & their son where she now rests, all in granite sarcophagi provided by Queen Victoria.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1293 Parish: Empress Ward, Rushmoor
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Limited Public Access. See opening times Ownership:

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Saint Peter's School (Farnborough Park, Farnborough Place)

    HCC Summary: The original Manor House became Farnborough Place which is Grade 2 listed. Early in C20 it was a prep school for boys & then a nursing home. Then followed a period as an hotel through WW II until it was an Int Turbine School. In 1962 it became St Peter’s School. Most of the land had been sold for housing.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1294 Parish: Knellwood Ward, Rushmoor
    Designations: Area:
    Access: No Public Access Ownership:

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Sandham Memorial Chapel and Garden

    Chapel, designed by Lionel Pearson LRIBA, has extensive wall murals by artist Sir Stephen Spencer. In 2014, a new ‘memorial garden’, designed by Daniel Lobb, was opened behind the Chapel.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1980 Parish: Burghclere
    Designations: Chapel LB I Area: 1 ha
    Access: Timed booking to Chapel-check opening times Ownership: National Trust
  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Sherfield School (North Foreland Lodge, Sherfield Manor, Buckfield House, Archer Lodge)

    HCC Summary: Late C19 School Grounds
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1264 Parish: Sherfield on Loddon
    Designations: House LB II Area: 23ha
    Access: Access to School Ownership: GEMS Education

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Sinah Warren

    HCC Summary: Possibly Arts and Crafts garden, now a hotel
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1673 Parish: Hayling Island
    Designations: SINC, SSSI Area:
    Access: Public Access to hotel Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Sleepers Hill

    HCC Summary: C19 site of several grand houses with large, terraced gardens. The estates were broken up in the C20 to make way for higher density properties. Some well-timbered landscape has survived.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1904 Parish: Winchester
    Designations: Area: Urban road
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Private residences

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    South Stoneham

    An important C18 Capability Brown designed landscape and remains of early C20 Rome Guthie garden. House, sluice bridge and fish house all LB II; fine trees; house and grounds part of Southampton University; rest owned by HCC
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1709 Parish: Southampton
    Designations: Conservation area, AHBR Area: 110 acres in 1915
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Southampton University & Hampshire County Council

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Southlands School (Vicars Hill)

    HCC Summary: Vicars Hil was the 2nd home of Rev. William Gilpin.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1030 Parish: Boldre
    Designations: NFNP Area: n/k
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Sparsholt College (Westleigh)

    HCC Summary: Japanese garden constructed 1980/1
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1573 Parish: Sparsholt
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Public Access to College Ownership: Sparsholt College

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Spinners

    HCC Summary: Plantsman’s garden; woodland, garden of botanical interest; nursery.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1028 Parish: Boldre
    Designations: NFNP Area: n/k
    Access: Nursery – check opening times Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Spire Clare Park Hospital (Clare Park)

    HCC Summary: An ancient parkland, with a lodge. Includes a walled garden, woodland walks & planting with a C18 house. After 1921 various use including girl’s school. Now a hospital.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1173 Parish: Crondall
    Designations: House LB II Area:
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Care Home and Hospital/
    Spire Home and Hospital

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    St Cross Grange Residential Care Home (St Cross Grange)

    HCC Summary: A small housing estate now occupies part of the garden; the house is now a Residentail Care Home for older people run by the Greensleeves Home Trust.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1924 Parish: Winchester
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Public Access to the Care Home Ownership: Greensleeves Home Trust

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    St Edward's School (Melchet Court)

    HCC Summary: C16 deer park; late C18 landscaped park with lake and Hindu temple (lost). mid-late C19 redesigned park, formal gardens, walled garden with new house by Clutton. Additional early C20 Arts & Crafts garden by Braddell & Deane: water garden, canal bridge and pavilion all LB II. School since 1960s, grounds and gardens adapated for functional use.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1451 Parish: Melchet Park & Plaitford
    Designations: House LB II*, Steps & walls,
    Gatehouse all LB II; SINC, SSSI
    Area: 26.3 ha
    Access: Access to School only Ownership: Clifton Catholic Children’s Society

    For more details, click the name above