Historic sites

You are here: Home  > Historic sites
Sites that have been developed

Showing 100 from 108 Items
  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Abbotstone

    HCC Summary: Built around 1680; gardens known as the Great Garden. House destroyed after 1759; the gardens deteriorated. Now vestiges of C18 parkland, garden earthworks & walled garden remain.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1538 Parish: Itchen Stoke
    Designations: SINC, SSSI, Farmhouse LB II Area: Medium
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Public

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Aldermoor House

    HCC Summary: 1932 sold to Southampton Corporation for housing; farm buildings of estate remain.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1686 Parish: Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Banister's Park (Bannister Court)

    HCC Summary: Originally property of c40ha with large mansion and two small lakes. ‘The Dell’ – small stream in a valley; house demolished 1927 when estate became speedway and greyhound stadium; was the site of the Dell football and cricket ground.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1686 Parish: Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Beacon House (The Beacon)

    HCC Summary1946 Hotel; house remains, houses built in grounds; small garden to N of house remains
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1682 Parish: Fleet
    Designations: CA Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Bellevue

    HCC Summary: House built for Nathaniel St Andre, physician to George I; extensive garden laid out (some distance from Southampton); mid C19 Diocesan College, closed late C19 and demolished.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1696 Parish: Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Belmont House

    HCC Summary: Developed
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1460 Parish: Nursling & Rownhams
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Belmont House, Bedhampton

    Mid C18 to early C20 house and park – now private housing estate.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1646 Parish: Bedhampton (E)
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private
  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Bevois Mount

    HCC Summary: Renowned for it’s extensive gardens in early C18 – Mordaunt friend of Pope; mid C19 housing development; house demolished c1940.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1692 Parish: Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Bidbury House

    HCC Summary: C18 house now with a Victorian facade. House received many alterations but garden remained same size. Garden was a kitchen garden now pleasure garden.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1984 Parish: Bedhampton
    Designations: CA, House LB II Area: 1 ha
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private Residence

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Bitterne Manor House

    HCC Summary: Lord of Manor Bishops of Winchester. In C18 private residence for a short while hotel but returned to residence in 1805. Land sold for housing in early C20 then house bombed during WW II subsequently renovated into flats.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1700 Parish: Bitterne Park ward, Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Multiple Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Blighmont (Millbrook)

    HCC Summary: Millbrook estate of c20ha; 1921 became a Nursing Home; 1963 house demolished; site can still be seen.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1704 Parish: Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Botley House

    HCC Summary: House bought by William Cobbett in 1805/6, he planted shrubberies, orchards, mature trees, trained fruit trees and hot melon beds in the walled garden, and was in favour of the formal garden, rather than the picturesque. The house was demolished in 1831.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1763 Parish: Botley
    Designations: CA AHBR Area: n/k
    Access: Historic site No Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Calluna (54 Merdon Avenue)

    HCC Summary: Garden created in the 1930s by the renowned plantswoman, Amy Doncaster – house demolished, site now divided between 3 dwellings
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1176 Parish: Chandlers Ford
    Designations: < 1 ha Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Multiple Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Catisfield House

    HCC Summary: House LB II; developed
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1615 Parish: Fareham
    Designations: Area: n/k
    Access: Historic site Ownership: n/k

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Catisfield Lodge

    HCC Summary: Developed
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1616 Parish: Fareham
    Designations: Area: n/k
    Access: Historic site Ownership: n/k

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Chessel House

    HCC Summary: It was built in 1796 with grounds. In 1906 it became empty and in 1920 sold for housing. The house was demolished & grounds all used for housing.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1699 Parish: Bitterne Park Ward, Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Multiple Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Chiltley Place

    HCC Summary: Previously Chiltlee Farm and Dower House to Chiltlee Manor; 1913 house extension by Inigo Triggs; plantsman’s garden; now Goldenfields housing estate.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1324 Parish: Bramshott & Liphook
    Designations: Area: n/k
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private
  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Chilton Manor (Worsley Hall)

    Formal landscape laid out by Sir Robert Worsley post 1690; grove, earthworks and yew avenue remain; house (LB II).
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1211 Parish: Candovers
    Designations: CA Area: n/k
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Coppithorn Hill House (Bunkers Hill)

    HCC Summary: Series of terraces cut into the hillside, planted with ornamental trees, house now demolished; was visible from the M27.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1073 Parish: Copythorne
    Designations: SSSI Area: n/k
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Cosham Park House

    Early C19 house and estate owned by the Padwick and Burrill families, that became site of East Cosham Villa development in the mid C19
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1732 Parish: Widley (E)
    Designations: House LB II Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Cosham Villas, East Cosham

    n the early C19, Cosham House, Cosham Lodge and East Cosham Lodge were adjoining gentry villas with walled and unwalled kitchen gardens and stabling on the north of Havant Road. tr>The owners had family ties with East Court, opposite, and East Cosham Cottage West. In the 1840s 3 of the 5 large houses in East Cosham (5th is The Goodwyns, now Mulberry Park Nursery), were owned by Royal Navy Officers. East Cosham Lodge, the Nursery and some perimeter walls and trees remain.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1892 Parish: Widley (E)
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Court Moor House

    HCC Summary: Road cuts across the southern edge of the estate, parkland, walled garden and lodge remain.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1173 Parish: Fleet
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Cuffnells Park

    HCC Summary: A house was built c1758 and enlarged in 1784. In 1932 house run as hotel until WW II when requisitioned. After the war the house was in a poor state and was demolished. Estate combined with Wilverley to form three dairy farms.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1009 Parish: Lyndhurst
    Designations: CA, Lodge LB II,; NFNP Area: 81ha
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Deer Parks - New Forest

    Click title for list of Deer Parks that were located in the New Forest and have no other entries

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Deer Parks - Test Valley

    Click title for list of Deer Parks that were located in Test Valley and have no other entries

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Dinorben Court

    HCC Summary: Parkland, fishponds, orchards, walled garden comprised the original area; house demolished; school sited in part of the grounds; fishponds remain; estate reflected in street names.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1130 Parish: Fleet
    Designations: CA Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Downend House

    HCC Summary: Partly developed – remnant planting; lodges remain.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1618 Parish: Fareham
    Designations: Area: n/k
    Access: Historic site Ownership: n/k

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Drayton Lodge

    HCC Summary: House demolished
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1415 Parish: Longparish
    Designations: AONB Area:
    Access: Historic sites Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    East Cosham House

    One of the group of the late C18 and early C19 villas with walled and unwalled gardens in East Cosham. It is now a residential home. Mature cedars, evergreen oaks and palms and flint wall at rear remain.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1893 Parish: Widley (E)
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    For more information, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    East Tytherley Manor

    HCC Summary: Part of C13 deer park, North Walk, the Grove, the cedar trees planted in the late C18 & parkland, with a line of lime trees remain.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1430 Parish: East Tytherley
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Elm Grove

    C19 landscaped park; C20 housing development; fishpond retained.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1240 Parish: Kingslclere
    Designations: CA Area: n/k
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Everton Grange (Everton House)

    HCC Summary: 1870s Everton House, beginning C20 Everton Grange, had conservatory, kitchen garden, greenhouses; 2 lodges, archway, some trees, and ponds remain; house demolished, Everton Court Hotel and housing on site.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1011 Parish: Hordle

    Designations: Area: n/k
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Fairfield House

    HCC Summary: Originally a fine Regency house with 11.3ha of pleasure grounds, gardens, orchard and meadows, had icehouse; house demolished 1950’s; coach house remains, mostly developed, crinkle crankle wall survives.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1012 Parish: Lymington

    Designations: Area: n/k
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Fareham Park

    HCC Summary: Deer Park 1279 for Bishop of Winchester; part now a school.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1620 Parish: Fareham
    Designations: Area: n/k
    Access: Historic deer park Ownership: Various

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Fawley A & Fawley B (Cadland House & estate)

    HCC Summary: Design: L Brown; original site of the Cadland estate, all sold after the 2nd World War; had icehouse, fishponds, walled garden, landscape plan J St Bodfon Gruffydd..
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1053 & 1054 Parish: Fawley

    Designations: Area: n/k
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Freemantle Park

    HCC Summary: Partly developed; 1852 land sold for building.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1685 Parish: Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Frogmore Park

    HCC Summary: Partly developed
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1165 Parish: Yateley
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Grange, The Southampton

    HCC Summary: It was originally a manor house belonging to St Deny’s Priory. At start of C18 in private hands. It became a nursing home in 1908. In 1914 private residence again until it was demolished in 1973/74, to make way for new road layout.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1708 Parish: Swaythling Ward, Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Southampton City Council

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Harefield House

    HCC Summary: Estate of c105ha with terraces, ornamental pond; 1949-60 estate for housing designed in garden city manner, including Harefield and Woodlands Schools.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1711 Parish: Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Hartley Maudit House & Park

    HCC Summary: Landscape park shown on 1791 Milne map – Manor House was demolished in the late C18/early C19 and the village was abandoned because of the loss of employment.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1405 Parish: Worldham
    Designations: SDNP Area: n/k
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Hawley Hill

    HCC Summary: Late C19 estate with walled garden, well, pond, orchard, mixed tree planting, lodge; now developed, park remnants.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1151 Parish: Blackwater & Hawley
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Heath House

    HCC Summary: Area now a housing estate, Heath House and park remnants remain
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1172 Parish: Crondall
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Heathfield House

    HCC Summary: House surrounded by car parking (2011).
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1636 Parish: Fareham
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: n/k

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Heathfield House

    HCC Summary: 1981 grounds sold for housing, house demolished.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1711 Parish: Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Highfield House

    HCC Summary: House demolished 1930; entrance gateway and lodge remain on edge of common.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1693 Parish: Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Hollam Lodge

    HCC Summary: Partly developed.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1625 Parish: Fareham
    Designations: Area: n/k
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Hollybrook House

    HCC Summary: 1910 became Corporation Children’s Home; house demolished 1950; Hollybrook Cemetery and allotments in some of the grounds.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1688 Parish: Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Hythe and Dibden Villas

    HCC Summary: C18 & C19 saw a number of villas built in Dibden/Hythe area. Some have been demolished for housing, other are care home, hotel, Hospital etc.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: Parish: Hythe and Dibden
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic – Summary Ownership: Multiple Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Itchen Abbas Manor

    HCC Summary: The LB II house stands behind the C19 church. The gardens are part of a pre-1810 park with the River Itchen running through.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1542 Parish: Itchen Valley
    Designations: SDNP, House LB II Area: Medium
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Kerala

    HCC Summary: Design – Ellen Eggar; developed.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1680 Parish: Yateley
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Knighton-Seymour Estate, Horndean

    Knighton-Seymour Estate, Horndean The Knighton-Seymour estate was a group of gentry houses in Blendworth belonging to the children and grandchildren of Captain James Hawker RN of Plymouth, four of whose five daughters lived in Blendworth. There were three principal family homes and three smaller properties. The arrangement lasted for two generations from 1819 until 1887 […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Knowle Village (Knowle Hospital)

    HCC Summary: Knowle Farm was purchased by the County in 1852, and became the County’s Lunatic Asylum. The hospital buildings were situated in well-landscaped grounds. The site has now been developed for private housing.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1907 Parish: Wickham
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    La Sainte Union (College of Further Education, Archers Lodge)

    HCC Summary: Gardens and grounds fo Archers Lodge; School began in 1891; original house destroyed Dec. 1940; in 2015 land has 2 halls of residence for Southampton University students, rest is now mixed housing
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1691 Parish: Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Langdown House

    HCC Summary: Built in 1797 with pleasure gardens etc. In 1930s used by BOAC & then Royal Naval/Admiralty. In 1960s house demolished and land used for housing.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1062 Parish: Hythe and Dibden
    Designations: Area: ha
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Multiple Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Langdown Lawn

    HCC Summary: Built c1869 with gardens. In 1935, it had become the Langdown Lawn Hotel. In 1943, the hotel became the Golden Hind Hotel and in 1945, the Parish Council purchased land for a recreation ground. By 1980 the hotel had been demolished and the estate sold for housing.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1063 Parish: Hythe and Dibden
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Golden Hind housing estate

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Langdown Windmill

    HCC Summary: .1870s 1st ed. O.S. map shows Langdown Mill, no house; 1895 house built on demolished cottage near the windmill; 1930s house with substantial garden, drive, greenhouse, woodland garden, lodge; 1960s Windmill Copse housing estate built.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1065 Parish: Hythe & Dibden
    Designations: Area: n/k
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Lee Park (Lee House)

    HCC Summary: Early C17 house, landscape park & garden remaining until mid C19land was incorporated into the Broadlands estate. Lee house was demolished & the parkland has been cultivated since.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1477 Parish: Romsey Extra
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Letcombe Place (Letcombe House)

    HCC Summary: Site of Green Hook, a late C18 house & grounds. House was demolished to make way for a laundry and stabling in the late C19 for Blendworth Lodge. The site became a business depot in the 1970s and in the C 21 the land became housing.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1835 Parish: Horndean
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site – housing development Ownership: Multiple

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Longmead House

    HCC Summary: Large neo-Gothic house & extensive grounds in 1866. Almost all developed for housing. Some of arboretum & a 2011 Gr II listed peach house remain.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1189 Parish: Bishopstoke
    Designations: Peach House LB II Area: Early c20 41 acres.
    Now built upon
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Housing development,
    multiple ownership

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Longwood Park

    Early farm became house by 1700 called Longwood, by 1790 called Rosehill with parklands. Used by American forces during WWII house demolished in 1960s. Many trees remain as part of the landscape.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1562 Parish: Owslebury
    Designations: SDNP, SINC, SMR Area: Large
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Historic site

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Lordswood House

    HCC Summary: House Swiss chalet type, demolished in 1972; cedars remain.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1713 Parish: Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Manydown Park

    Original manor house extended in 1790. In 1965 house was demolished and part of land integrated into farm. Estate broken up in early 1970s, parts was bought by BDBC for future housing.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1283 Parish: Wootton St Lawrence
    Designations: AONB, SINC, Relic Area: c 5,000 acres
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Agriculture The Manydown Company and BDBC /HCC Joint Management committee

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Merchistoun Hall (Qualletts, The Grove, Grove Lodge)

    HCC Summary: House (LB II) early C19, formerly Quallet’s Grove, renamed after family seat by Admiral Sir Charles Napier 1836; now community centre; C19 trees, pond and walled garden retained, tennis courts, remainder housing
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1365 Parish: Horndean
    Designations: House LB II Area:
    Access: Historic site – Community Centre Ownership: Horndean Community Centre/Horndean
    Community Association – Registered Charity

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Merry Oak

    HCC Summary: House & gardens built c1800 used as a residence until 1920s when the house demolished & land used for building Merry Oak housing estate.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1718 Parish: Bitterne Park Ward, Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Multiple Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Midanbury Lodge

    HCC Summary: Early C19 spectacular castle lodge built – 1920’s lodge demolished; 1930’s house demolished.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1714 Parish: Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Molex House (Broxhead)

    HCC Summary: Late C19 house & hunting estate, with pleasure gardens, lakes for fishing. War Office in 1902, the land used for military training & housing. The house demolished in 1983 Molex, built laboratories on the site. Few signs of original garden features or planting. Plans for army to withdraw from parts in 2015.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1404 Parish: Whitehill & Headley
    Designations: SINC Area: 40.5 ha
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private Laboratory & Ministry of Defence

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Moorhill House

    HCC Summary: Mid C19 house sited with fine views, demolished in 1960 & a reservoir built on its site. The adjoining Fir Tree Cottage renamed Moorhill House badly damaged by fire in 2009. Site has many specimen trees remaining.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1969 Parish: Hedge End/West End & Botley
    Designations: Area: 3.39 ha originally
    Access: Historic site with specimen trees remaining Ownership: Private residence –
    Reservoir owned by Water Board

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Morton House (Hinton Fields)

    HCC Summary: Villa house built in the C19. Various owners and in C20 became home for the elderly. Demolished in the 1990s for a housing estate; some old walls & trees remain.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1821 Parish: Kings Worthy
    Designations: Area: Medium
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Individual Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Mount House

    HCC Summary: Built in early C19. In later C19 the gardens were increased & a new house built. The house was demolished in 1960 & housing built on the site.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1066 Parish: Hythe and Dibden
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Multiple Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Mount House, The

    HCC Summary: Developed
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1461 Parish: Nursling & Rownhams
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Norman Court

    HCC Summary: Modern apartment block on site of Victorian villa from prestige late19 Craneswater Estate. Mature trees around perimeter.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1738 Parish: Portsea (E)
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Old Blendworth House (Freeland House)

    HCC Summary: Knighton-Seymour estate; 15.5 ha; c1810 known as Freeland House, demolished mid C19, grounds divided between Blendworth Lodge and Cadlington House; home farm buildings, stables, well-house and much of parkland survive; site now private housing
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1834 Parish: Horndean
    Designations: Area: 15.5 ha
    Access: Historic site Ownership: site now 17-33 Havant Road,
    Horndean

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Old Lodge

    HCC Summary: Noted on 1791 Milne map; 1st ed OS well laid our garden around the house, shrubs/trees; kitchen garden; avenues of trees on the main routes to the house.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1931 Parish: Nether Wallop
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Park Prewett Development (Park Prewett Mental Hospital)

    HCC Summary: Deer park (Privet and Morgaston) 1245 for Robert St John; hospital built during 1920s/30s with well laid out gardens. Housing, school development by 2012
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1261 Parish: Sherborne St John
    Designations: CA Area: n/k
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Peartree Lodge

    HCC Summary: House with c3ha ground with views over the Itchen; 1920 converted to 8 dwellings; 1940’s damaged in war and demolished.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1698 Parish: Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Penton House

    HCC Summary: Formal garden with extensive canal. St John’s Almhouses now on site.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1925 Parish: Winchester
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site

    Further information available

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Place House

    HCC Summary: Site of late C16 house, demolished c1700; evidence suggest that it could have been a moated site or a very elaborate parterre garden.Wall and archway remain
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1519 Parish: Compton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site – Public Access on footpaths Ownership: Hampshire County Council

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Portsdown Hill

    HCC Summary: High, healthy beauty spot became desirable location for gentry villas, farms and 1860s fortifications. Vantage points (views), LB II Forts and houses, estate remnants and wildlife.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1889 Parish: Widley (E)
    Designations: AHBR, SINC, SSSI Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: n/k

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Portswood House

    HCC Summary: Neo Gothic lodge beside Portswood Lodge; 1840’s parts of estate divided for building; 1852 house demolished for smaller houses.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1706 Parish: Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Purlieu House

    HCC Summary: Originally farm, house built in c1870. Gardens with a lake, kitchen garden, two entrance lodges & c80 acres. The farm consists of house, buildings & 58 acres of arable & grassland. House demolished in 1970 & land covered with housing.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1067 Parish: Hythe and Dibden
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Multiple Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Ridgway House/Castle

    HCC Summary: It was built in c1795 with 24 acres of land. The house was demolished in 1920 to make way for a golf course that has now been built on.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1702 Parish: Peartree Ward, Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Multiple Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Royal Clarence Yard, Flagstaff Green

    HCC Summary: Officers houses c1832 LB II; c1870 map shows mature gardens to rear, 4 distinct areas for Officers use, paths, trees and lawns, now overgrown. Oval gardens in front of ceremonial gateway contains old Privet tree; site being developed; gardens included in new landscaping.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1760 Parish: Gosport
    Designations: CA, AHBR, LP Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: n/k

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Rushington Park

    HCC Summary: Mostly developed; did have a fine garden.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1040 Parish: Totton & Eling
    Designations: Area: n/k
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private
  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Shirley House

    HCC Summary: Mostly developed, grounds of c20ha, c1863 house demolished.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1687 Parish: Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    South Testwood House

    HCC Summary: Georgian style house with garden, the Dower House for Great Testwood House, became a convalescent home in the 1920s, demolished in 1930s; site now occupied by private houses and a public house.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1041 Parish: Totton & Eling
    Designations: Area: n/k
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Spear Hall

    HCC Summary: Site of Spear Hall; 1887 house demolished; estate mostly developed.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1720 Parish: Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Spring Gardens

    HCC Summary: Site of early nineteenth century pleasure garden.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1929 Parish: Gosport
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: n/k

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Springhill Court

    HCC Summary: Bombed 1940.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1721 Parish: Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    St Michael's Convent

    HCC Summary: In 1885, a Catholic institution set up to care for ‘destitute women and girls’. In 1963, an RC School was built on the Convent Orchard. In 1999 the school was relocated and the buildings demolished. In 2012, redevelopment of Convent to flats and houses.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1825 Parish: Waterlooville
    Designations: Convent LB II Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: 2013 Site being redeveloped

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    St Nicholas Church, Chilton Candover

    HCC Summary: During the 1560s Preston Candover village was depopulated, and earthworks visible to the west of the church ruins are the only surviving remnants of this deserted village. Of the remains of the church, only the flint boundary wall is now visible. The church, above ground, was largely demolished in 1876. The crypt was excavated in 1927.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1212 Parish: Chilton Candover
    Designations: LB Grade II Area: c21 acres
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Relic churchyard occasional memorial services, no longer in use for burials. Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Stokesmead Field

    HCC Summary:Probably a sheltered Saxon harbour, silted up c1800; National Children’s home playing field from 1888-1984 followed by plans to build on part of the site. Below ground foundations of 24 metre high Seamark or NavigationalTower constructed in 1643 by Lord High Admiral, the Earl of Warwick demolished in 1965.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1757 Parish: Gosport
    Designations: CA Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Military site

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Swaythling House

    HCC Summary: By 1802 house demolished
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1722 Parish: Southampton
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Sycamores

    HCC Summary: It was built in mid 1860s on land that had been part of Farnborough Place. The nuns at Hillside Convent College moved into the house during WW I. Builder bought house and slowly built on land. House demolished in 1979 to build new houses.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1743 Parish: Knellwood Ward, Rushmoor
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Multiple Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Testwood Park (Great Testwood House)

    HCC Summary: Early manorial estate & late C18 landscape park. In 1930s land sold for housing, commercial use & gravel extraction. The mansion and Dower house were demolished. In 1980s land was sold for water extraction & a nature reserve. Only a small part is privately owned.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1042 Parish: Totton
    Designations: LB II – Lodge and Mill; SSSI, TPOs Area: c2 ha
    Access: Historic site – Public Access to Nature Trail Ownership: Private land, Water supply, Nature Reserve/Barker-Mills Estate
    Southern Water, Hampshire County Council

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Upton House

    HCC Summary: Developed – housing estate.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1465 Parish: Nursling & Rownhams
    Designations: SINC Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Warblington House

    HCC Summary: House and Warblington Lodge on adjacent sites, house demolished and grounds now a housing estate.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1666 Parish: Warblington (E)
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Private
  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Warsash House

    The redesign of the mid-late 19th century substantial house, park and garden overlooking the River Hamble, is attributed to Sir Frederick Leighton. All that remains is the imprint on the shape of the housing development that ensued, the water tower, pigeon house and a few boundary walls.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1631 Parish: Warsash
    Designations: SSSI (part of former estate) Area: c130 acres mid C19; 45 acres early C20
    Access: Historic site

    For more details, click the name above